New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
I've uploaded a new snapshot to
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/snapshots/. This version
contains a some recent fixes, and is packaged in a new installer built
entirely using open source tools (specifically, the Wix toolkit).

Please give this version a try to test for any major issues before I
package a more formal release.

[Before anyone asks though, there have been no fixes for any issues seen
on loaded IIS servers, partly because noone has submitted any back
traces or mylog output from an affected system.]

Regards, Dave.

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Dave Page"

Does it work in 07.03.0209, or is .0208 the most recent that is OK? If
so, what is the latest release that does work?

Regards, Dave.

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hi,

The problem apprears with all the versions that are available on

ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/snapshots/

I'm using the 208 all the time, which is the last that works. I did test every version until the final 08.00.0005.

> I made some tests with MS Access 2000 / 2003 against a 7.4.5 database
> running under FreeBSD, and a problem has appeared with version
> 08.00.0005. Until here, I was using version
> 07.00.0.208 / 209, and I never had this kind of problem.
>
> Access keeps on telling me "You tried to assign a NULL value to a
> variable that is not of type VARIANT".
>
> This message appears for example when I run this pass-through query
> under Access:
>
> SELECT * FROM public."search_dossier"('%');
>
> Switching back to version 07.00.0.208 corrects the problem, and with a
> different parameter, search_dossier is likely to succeed, like with:

Does it work in 07.03.0209, or is .0208 the most recent that is OK? If so, what is the latest release that does work?

Regards, Dave.

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Dave Page"

Ahh, OK, so it broke between 208 and 209 - that narrows it down (and
means it probably wasn't me :-p )

Can you provide mylog output for identical test runs with both 208 and
209 for comparison please? Send them as text though, not pdf please. If
you just test the known-to-be-broken case with both drivers, that should
minimise the size of the logs.

Regards, Dave.

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Dave Page"

Hmm, they are essentially identical. Iirc, you said this was in Access?
Can you provide me a simple MDB to test with please, and I'll try to
recreate the error here (it'll be in Access 2K3).

Thanks, Dave.

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Yes, this is a log when using Access 2003, but the same problem appears with Access 2000.

I made another check: another instance of the same database, with different data (less data), runs fine with driver >=
209.Is there anything special in driver >= 209 in the way data in being retrieved?

I'll try to create a small database that allows you to recreate the error. But mainly, this is simply a pass-through
queryfrom Access, nothing more.

> Sorry if it's a bit long, but here we are:

Hmm, they are essentially identical. Iirc, you said this was in Access?
Can you provide me a simple MDB to test with please, and I'll try to recreate the error here (it'll be in Access 2K3).

Thanks, Dave.

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Dave Page"

Not that I know of.

> I'll try to create a small database that allows you to
> recreate the error. But mainly, this is simply a pass-through
> query from Access, nothing more.

Thanks - I don't really have time to learn Access right now :-)

/D

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Dave,

I have narrowed the search. The problem with driver > 208 comes from the way the "text" fields are handled. That's a
bitstrange, there is a certain pattern of data in the text field of one single row that crashes Access. There are no
specificcharacters there, and if I put the exact same data twice in the text field, the problem disappears! That means
that'snot a problem with a foreign unsupported character...

With driver 208, no problem, on both Windows 2000 / Access 2000 and Windows XP / Acces 2003.

My database is encoded in LATIN1. Maybe that could be something important?

Thanks

Philipe Lang

> Yes, this is a log when using Access 2003, but the same problem
> appears with Access 2000.
>
> I made another check: another instance of the same database, with
> different data (less data), runs fine with driver >= 209. Is there
> anything special in driver >= 209 in the way data in being retrieved?

Not that I know of.

> I'll try to create a small database that allows you to recreate the
> error. But mainly, this is simply a pass-through query from Access,
> nothing more.

Thanks - I don't really have time to learn Access right now :-)

/D

Re: New snapshot - 08.00.0005

From
"Dave Page"

Odd - have you retyped the data completely? Perhaps there's some
non-visible characters there that got removed when you duplicated the
data (I assume you cut/pasted it in something).

> With driver 208, no problem, on both Windows 2000 / Access
> 2000 and Windows XP / Acces 2003.
>
> My database is encoded in LATIN1. Maybe that could be
> something important?

Can you try reloading it into an ascii db? Out of curiosity...

Regards, Dave.