MS Access problem with memos

From
"Zanoni Marco"
Date:
Hi,
I have a problem with the ODBC driver and MS Access XP.
If I have a table on PostgreSQL ( version 7.4.6) with text column,
MS Access reads it as a varchar(254) column, instead of a "Memo" dataytpe.

The official doccumentation says that the driver option "Text as
LongVarchar" should map text as memos, but it doesn't work.

I read an old workaround to make this work, but it says to create a new type,
and since 7.4 it must be coded in C. Is it the only way?

I work on Windows 2000, the latest official version of the driver, and
PostgreSQL 7.4.6 on Gentoo Linux.

Do anyone know why it doesn't work?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Zanoni Marco

Re: MS Access problem with memos

From
Jeff Eckermann
Date:
--- Zanoni Marco <postgresql@innysoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem with the ODBC driver and MS Access
> XP.
> If I have a table on PostgreSQL ( version 7.4.6)
> with text column,
> MS Access reads it as a varchar(254) column, instead
> of a "Memo" dataytpe.
>
> The official doccumentation says that the driver
> option "Text as
> LongVarchar" should map text as memos, but it
> doesn't work.

Works for me.  Did you remember to relink the table(s)
after you made that change?  (The Linked Table Manager
might be enough).

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: MS Access problem with memos

From
"Sim Zacks"
Date:
1) In order to get Access to recognize the datatype, you have to delete the
linked table and relink it. Nothing else helps, even choosing a new location
in the linked table manager.
2) I believe that in my testing the ODBC driver for version 8, which was a
snapshot version, worked with the Text as LongVarChar. the stable version
worked the opposite. (I could be wrong about this)