Executing SP in VB6

From
"Sandro Yaqub Yusuf"
Date:
Hello,

Please, I just trying search in all WEB SITES about using STORED PROCEDURES with VISUAL BASIC, but I not found anything about this that can help me.

I have a table: USERS with colums IDUSER, USER, PASSWORD, FULLNAME
I need get the colum FULLNAME with parameter USER.
How I do to create and execute a STORED PROCEDURE in VISUAL BASIC 6 to resolve this litle problem ? (please, forgiven my english because I living in BRAZIL and not speak english).

Thanks,

Sandroyy

Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Goulet, Dick"
Date:
May I ask why you want to use a stored procedure?  A simple "Select fullname from users where user = '<value>';" should work just fine.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Please, I just trying search in all WEB SITES about using STORED PROCEDURES with VISUAL BASIC, but I not found anything about this that can help me.

I have a table: USERS with colums IDUSER, USER, PASSWORD, FULLNAME
I need get the colum FULLNAME with parameter USER.
How I do to create and execute a STORED PROCEDURE in VISUAL BASIC 6 to resolve this litle problem ? (please, forgiven my english because I living in BRAZIL and not speak english).

Thanks,

Sandroyy

Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Sandro Yaqub Yusuf"
Date:
Hello my friend,

That is simple. I work developing programs in Visual Basic using complex Stored Procedures in SQL-SERVER 7/2000.
I want to make STORED PROCEDURES in PostGresQL using Visual Basic 6. I need one example to begin.

Thanks,

Sandroyy

Please, I just trying search in all WEB SITES about using STORED PROCEDURES with VISUAL BASIC, but I not found anything about this that can help me.

I have a table: USERS with colums IDUSER, USER, PASSWORD, FULLNAME
I need get the colum FULLNAME with parameter USER.
How I do to create and execute a STORED PROCEDURE in VISUAL BASIC 6 to resolve this litle problem ? (please, forgiven my english because I living in BRAZIL and not speak english).

Thanks,

Sandroyy

Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Sandro Yaqub Yusuf"
Date:
Hello my friend,

I know.
I have worked with VB about 6 years. I´m using ACCESS, ORACLE, SQL_SERVER,
XBASE integrated with Visual Basic.
Now, for my experience, I would like to use PostGresQL with VB6. OK ??!!

Thanks for you colaboration.

Sandroyy

>> That is simple. I work developing programs in Visual Basic using complex
>> Stored
>> Procedures in SQL-SERVER 7/2000. I want to make STORED PROCEDURES in
>> PostGresQL
>> using Visual Basic 6. I need one example to begin.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sandroyy

Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
Andrew Ayers
Date:
Sandro Yaqub Yusuf wrote:
> Hello my friend,
>
> I know.
> I have worked with VB about 6 years. I´m using ACCESS, ORACLE,
> SQL_SERVER, XBASE integrated with Visual Basic.
> Now, for my experience, I would like to use PostGresQL with VB6. OK ??!!

Yes, it is possible to use PostgreSQL with VB6, via ODBC (I have posted
numerous times in the past on this - see the archives if you are
interested, I am not going to repeat myself here) - I am doing it as we
speak. But I don't think this is what you are asking.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting to code stored
procedures in VB and load them into your PostgreSQL DB, correct? As far
as I know, this is *not* possible. You can, however, write SP's using
PL/PgSQL, which is similar to PL on Oracle, from what I understand.

Once you have your SP written, there should be a way to call/use it via
ODBC. I have never done this, but I did find this post, which may give
you some help:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2004-04/msg00050.php

Andrew Ayers

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Sivernell" <res005ru@verizon.net>

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.

Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Iain"
Date:
I've never done it either, but I have some code (which incidentally I got from asktom.oracle.com) that you may be able to adapt. The original code uses a simple select and bind variables. Because it uses binds it should be easy to adapt to a SP's parameters:

Sub ParameterExample()

   Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command

   Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

   Dim prm As ADODB.Parameter

   cmd.ActiveConnection = Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;User ID=scott;Password=tiger;Data Source=oraDSN;

   ' Set the command's text, and specify that it is an SQL statement.

   cmd.CommandText = "SELECT item_name FROM v_syouhin_info WHERE deptno = ?"

   cmd.CommandType = adCmdText

   ' Set up a new parameter for the select.

   Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("deptno", adInteger, adParamInput, , 10)

   cmd.Parameters.Append prm

   ' Create a recordset by executing the command.

   Set rs = cmd.Execute

   ' Loop through the recordset and print the first field.

   Do While Not rs.EOF

      Debug.Print rs(0)

      rs.MoveNext

   Loop

   ' Close the recordset.

   rs.Close

End Sub

    Modify it as follows to use a stored procedure:

Sub ParameterExample()

   Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command

   Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

   Dim prm As ADODB.Parameter

   cmd.ActiveConnection = Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;User ID=scott;Password=tiger;Data Source=oraDSN;

   ' Set the command's text, and specify that it is an SQL statement.

   cmd.CommandText = "STORED_PROCEDURE_NAME"    ' <-- changed

   cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc     ' <-- changed this part too

   ' Set up a new parameter for the select.

   Set prm = cmd.CreateParameter("deptno", adInteger, adParamInput, , 10)

   cmd.Parameters.Append prm

   ' Create a recordset by executing the command.

   Set rs = cmd.Execute

   ' Loop through the recordset and print the first field.

   Do While Not rs.EOF

      Debug.Print rs(0)

      rs.MoveNext

   Loop

   ' Close the recordset.

   rs.Close

End Sub

In the second case the stored procedure has one in parameter which is deptno and the out parameter (or possibly the function return) is a result set.

As I said, I havn't tried it myself, so I'd be interested to know if you get it working on PG.

Regards
Iain

Please, I just trying search in all WEB SITES about using STORED PROCEDURES with VISUAL BASIC, but I not found anything about this that can help me.

I have a table: USERS with colums IDUSER, USER, PASSWORD, FULLNAME
I need get the colum FULLNAME with parameter USER.
How I do to create and execute a STORED PROCEDURE in VISUAL BASIC 6 to resolve this litle problem ? (please, forgiven my english because I living in BRAZIL and not speak english).

Thanks,

Sandroyy

Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Iain"
Date:
Hi Yusef,

I just realized that it probably isn't the VB code you wanted to see, but
the pg stored procedure code.

I don't have an example on hand, but presumably all you have to do is return
a ref cursor from you pg procedure and the same VB code that you used for
sql server would work on pg. Maybe...

Anyway, I think that you should check the docs for "refcursor" - maybe
section 37.8 and see if that is what you are looking for.

Regards
Iain

Please, I just trying search in all WEB SITES about using STORED PROCEDURES
with VISUAL BASIC, but I not found anything about this that can help me.

I have a table: USERS with colums IDUSER, USER, PASSWORD, FULLNAME
I need get the colum FULLNAME with parameter USER.
How I do to create and execute a STORED PROCEDURE in VISUAL BASIC 6 to
resolve this litle problem ? (please, forgiven my english because I living
in BRAZIL and not speak english).

Thanks,

Sandroyy

Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hello Sandro. Good idea to use stored procedures. I'm using MS Access, so I guess you may have to adapt the code a
bit...

This code uses DAO, not ADO or whatever. I hope it will help you.

Here we are:

1) The stored procedure:
------------------------
CREATE FUNCTION public.search_your_tbl_name(varchar)
  RETURNS SETOF your_tbl_name AS
'
SELECT * FROM public.your_tbl_name
WHERE lower(id) LIKE lower($1)
OR lower(foo1) LIKE lower($1)
OR lower(foo2) LIKE lower($1)
OR lower(foo3) LIKE lower($1)
OR lower(foo4) LIKE lower($1)
ORDER BY foo2
LIMIT 50
'
  LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE;

2) The VBA code:
----------------
Public Function global_dsn_name() As String
    global_dsn_name = "your_dns_name"
End Function

Sub query_run(query As String, p As String)
On Error GoTo query_runError

    Dim MyWorkspace As DAO.Workspace
    Dim MyConnection As DAO.Connection
    Dim MyRecordset As DAO.Recordset
    Dim MySQLString As String
    Dim MyODBCConnectString As String

    Set MyWorkspace = CreateWorkspace("ODBCWorkspace", "", "", dbUseODBC)
    MyODBCConnectString = "ODBC;DSN=" & global_dsn_name() & ";"
    Set MyConnection = MyWorkspace.OpenConnection("Connection1", dbDriverNoPrompt, , MyODBCConnectString)
    MySQLString = "SELECT * FROM public." & """" & query & """" & "('" & p & "');"
    Set MyRecordset = MyConnection.OpenRecordset(MySQLString, dbOpenDynamic)

    With MyRecordset
        Do While Not .EOF

            Debug.Print _
            MyRecordset("id") & " / " & _
            MyRecordset("foo1") & " / " & _
            MyRecordset("foo2") & " / " & _
            MyRecordset("foo3") & " / " & _
            MyRecordset("foo4")

            .MoveNext
        Loop
    End With

    MyRecordset.Close
    Set MyRecordset = Nothing

    MyConnection.Close
    Set MyConnection = Nothing

    MyWorkspace.Close
    Set MyWorkspace = Nothing

query_runExit:
    Exit Sub

query_runError:
    MsgBox "Error in query_run."
    Resume query_runExit
End Sub

3) How you use it:
------------------
query_run("search_your_tbl_name", "test%")

4) MS Access & reports:
-----------------------
The problem with MS Access is that sometimes you may want to use the result of your stored procedure in a report, for
example.In this case, you have to store the query instead of simply running it. You won't need this with VB6, but I put
thecode here also, it might help others.

Sub search_store(query As String, p As String)
On Error GoTo search_storeError

    Dim MyDatabase As DAO.DataBase
    Dim MyQueryDef As DAO.QueryDef

    Set MyDatabase = CurrentDb()
    If (QueryExists(query)) Then MyDatabase.QueryDefs.Delete query
    Set MyQueryDef = MyDatabase.CreateQueryDef(query)

    MyQueryDef.Connect = "ODBC;DSN=" & global_dsn_name() & ";"
    MyQueryDef.SQL = "SELECT * FROM public." & """" & query & """" & "('" & p & "');"
    MyQueryDef.ReturnsRecords = True

    MyQueryDef.Close
    Set MyQueryDef = Nothing

    MyDatabase.Close
    Set MyDatabase = Nothing

search_storeExit:
    Exit Sub

search_storeError:
    MsgBox "Error in search_store."
    Resume search_storeExit
End Sub

This routine creates a querydef called "search_your_tbl_name" you can incorporate in a report.

________________________________

Please, I just trying search in all WEB SITES about using STORED PROCEDURES with VISUAL BASIC, but I not found anything
aboutthis that can help me.

I have a table: USERS with colums IDUSER, USER, PASSWORD, FULLNAME
I need get the colum FULLNAME with parameter USER.
How I do to create and execute a STORED PROCEDURE in VISUAL BASIC 6 to resolve this litle problem ? (please, forgiven
myenglish because I living in BRAZIL and not speak english).

Thanks,

Sandroyy

Thanks - Part One - Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Sandro Yaqub Yusuf"
Date:
Hello my dears friends,

Thanks for yours colaborations.

It´s here the part of solution about my problem with colaboration of
everbody that help me (Philippe Lang, Iain, Andrew Ayers, Rick Sivernell,
Corey W. Gibbs):

POSTGRESQL:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION sp_user_search(varchar)
  RETURNS SETOF user AS
' select * from user where user = $1'
  LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE;

VISUAL BASIC 6 with ADO 2.8 without STORED PROCEDURE:

Dim adoBD As ADODB.Connection
Dim rsTB    As New ADODB.Recordset

 Set adoBD = New ADODB.Connection

 adoBD.ConnectionString =
"driver=PostgreSQL};server=localhost;database=SICCEV;port=5432;uid=ryan;pwd=displace;"
adoBD.Open

Set rsTB = adoBD.Execute("select * from user where user = 'Sandro';")

Do While Not rsTB.EOF
       MsgBox rsTB!Usuario

       rsTB.MoveNext
Loop

rsTB.Close
adoBD.Close

RESULT OF EXECUTION: Sandro Yaqub Yusuf

VISUAL BASIC 6 with ADO 2.8 with STORED PROCEDURE:

Dim adoBD As ADODB.Connection
Dim rsTB    As New ADODB.Recordset

Set adoBD = New ADODB.Connection

adoBD.ConnectionString =
"driver=PostgreSQL};server=localhost;database=SICCEV;port=5432;uid=ryan;pwd=displace;"
adoBD.Open

Set rsTB = adoBD.Execute("select sp_user_search('Sandro');")

Do While Not rsTB.EOF
       MsgBox rsTB(0)

       rsTB.MoveNext
Loop

rsTB.Close
adoBD.Close

RESULT OF EXECUTION: (1,Sandro,123,"Sandro Yaqub Yusuf")

The question is how I do for to isolate the columns when come
(1,Sandro,123,"Sandro Yaqub Yusuf"). I would like to get only the column
FULLNAME using the STORED PROCEDURE. Have I do a function in VB for to
isolate the RESULTS of STORED PROCEDURES in POSTGRESQL ?

Thanks more one times...

Sandroyy

Re: Thanks - Part One - Re: Executing SP in VB6

From
"Iain"
Date:
Hi Sandro

are you saying that rsTB(0) = "(1,Sandro,123,"Sandro Yaqub Yusuf")"?

That would be interesting, but not very useful.

Does  rsTB(1) fail as an invalid column?

Does  rsTB.Fields("user").value  work? (It should return "Sandro" according
to your data).

Regards
Iain