bad performance for Access, ODBC and Postgres

From
Jean-Max Reymond
Date:
Hi,
I have very poor access whith a front end Access 2003, ODBC and Postgres 7.4.3.
Much time to find a record in a table ff 13000 records with indexs.
Sniffing the network, I can see a lot of traffic and the CPU of
postmaster is about 30% (P4, 2.8 GHz). It seems that all the data's
are backed on the client side and then, analyzed.
Does it exist an option to improve the performances ?
thanks,

--
Jean-Max Reymond
CKR Solutions

Re: bad performance for Access, ODBC and Postgres

From
Eric HAGENBACH
Date:
Jean-Max Reymond a écrit :

>Hi,
>I have very poor access whith a front end Access 2003, ODBC and Postgres 7.4.3.
>Much time to find a record in a table ff 13000 records with indexs.
>Sniffing the network, I can see a lot of traffic and the CPU of
>postmaster is about 30% (P4, 2.8 GHz). It seems that all the data's
>are backed on the client side and then, analyzed.
>Does it exist an option to improve the performances ?
>thanks,

Maybe you can use the EXPLAIN command to see what query plan the system
creates for your query (you can see the where condition,  which index is
used, ...)

Eric.

Re: bad performance for Access, ODBC and Postgres

From
Jean-Max Reymond
Date:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:57:25 +0200, Eric HAGENBACH
<eric.hagenbach@vif.tm.fr> wrote:
> Jean-Max Reymond a écrit :
>
> >Hi,
> >I have very poor access whith a front end Access 2003, ODBC and Postgres 7.4.3.
> >Much time to find a record in a table ff 13000 records with indexs.
> >Sniffing the network, I can see a lot of traffic and the CPU of
> >postmaster is about 30% (P4, 2.8 GHz). It seems that all the data's
> >are backed on the client side and then, analyzed.
> >Does it exist an option to improve the performances ?
> >thanks,
> >

> Maybe you can use the EXPLAIN command to see what query plan the system
> creates for your query (you can see the where condition,  which index is
> used, ...)
>
> Eric.

EXPLAIN is for identified requests and I don't know which request Access sends.
It seems that Access open a cursor on the database and reads each
record one by one and tries to match with the condition. This is the
only way  I can explain such behaviour and it is of course very silly.

--
Jean-Max Reymond
CKR Solutions
http://www.ckr-solutions.com

Re: bad performance for Access, ODBC and Postgres

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hello,

Can you give us some more informations regarding the way you link Access and Postgresql? Linked table? Pass-through
query?
How do you query the table? With an Access filter?

In order to get the best performance, I suggest you put all the logic on the database, and use a pass-through query to
querythe postgresql view or function.