Linux ODBC (MS SQL Server driver)

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
Yeah I know but I'm getting ready to head home and feeling safe from
flames.

I'm stuck dealing with some MS SQL Server databases and would like to do
the dealing from a Linux server.  Currently I run a script on the MS
Windows machine extracting the data and placing it in a SQLite database
that I can get to using a SMB/CIF mount.  (Talk about twisted.)   This is
relatively static data -- mostly daily updates.

The better way would be to get to the MS SQL Server directly from the
Linux box.  I've made several attempts to get the ODBC stuff set up on a
Linux box but ran into strange errors each time (over the last year or
so) and never succeeded.
   What I am wondering is if anyone has a nearly fool-proof set of
instructions for setting up and doing MS SQL Server connections from a
Linux (or other UNIX-like OS) box?

Rod

Re: Linux ODBC (MS SQL Server driver)

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>    What I am wondering is if anyone has a nearly fool-proof set of
> instructions for setting up and doing MS SQL Server connections from a
> Linux (or other UNIX-like OS) box?

I've successfully used freetds (http://www.freetds.org/) and the php
mssql extension from Linux before (not recently though). A quick glance
at the site indicates jdbc support also, but I don't see anything about
ODBC. In any case, might be worth a look for you...

Joe

Date:
Joe Conway wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>>    What I am wondering is if anyone has a nearly fool-proof set of
>> instructions for setting up and doing MS SQL Server connections from a
>> Linux (or other UNIX-like OS) box?
>
> I've successfully used freetds (http://www.freetds.org/) and the php
> mssql extension from Linux before (not recently though). A quick glance
> at the site indicates jdbc support also, but I don't see anything about
> ODBC. In any case, might be worth a look for you...

Actually, looks like there is unixODBC support -- see:
http://www.freetds.org/software.html

HTH,

Joe

Date:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Joe Conway wrote:

> Actually, looks like there is unixODBC support -- see:
> http://www.freetds.org/software.html

It's amazing how gentle your application of the clue-stick is.  This time
going through the site it made a lot more sense.  I'm be working on it
this week.

Thanks,
Rod