Idle connections - Too many clients connected already

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hello,

After using Postgresql for a while, through ODBC / MS Access, I'm not
able to connect to the server anymore. The server reports "Too many
clients connected already".

With a "ps -afx", I can see a lot of idle postgresql connections on the
server, which correspond for sure to ODBC connections that haven't been
closed properly, and that remain opened. Stopping and restarting the
server solves the problem.

Is there a way to avoid that? I cannot certifiy that clients will always
close their connexions in a clean way. So, is the server able to check
if clients are still alive, and close their connection if it's not the
case?

Thanks

Philippe

Re: Idle connections - Too many clients connected already

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Thursday 22 January 2004 06:57, Philippe Lang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After using Postgresql for a while, through ODBC / MS Access, I'm not
> able to connect to the server anymore. The server reports "Too many
> clients connected already".
[snip]
> Is there a way to avoid that? I cannot certifiy that clients will always
> close their connexions in a clean way. So, is the server able to check
> if clients are still alive, and close their connection if it's not the
> case?

You can set a timeout for the ODBC on each client. I can't remember if this is
in the odbc driver settings panel or where. Worst case, it's a registry
setting. That should do what you want.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Idle connections - Too many clients connected already

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hello,

I have already activated this option in the registry. It is necessary in order to avoid a connection drop when the
clientis idle for some time.

But my problem is different here. I would like a connection to be dropped on the server when the client has
disconnected...

Philippe

On Thursday 22 January 2004 06:57, Philippe Lang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After using Postgresql for a while, through ODBC / MS Access, I'm not
> able to connect to the server anymore. The server reports "Too many
> clients connected already".
[snip]