Access and rules

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
I am trying to link to a postgres table with rules in Access. Am using the
7.03.00.01 snapshot. Access will not link because it says table with same
name already exists. If I drop the rules it will link. Any cure for this?

 Thank you
 Adrian Klaver
 aklaver@attbi.com

Re: Access and rules

From
"Hiroshi Inoue"
Date:

What rule are you defining ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

kill 'zombies'

From
Simeó Reig
Date:
Sometimes access dies and we have lot of 'zombies' connections in our
server, is it possible to kill only this threads without restart database ?
Is it sane to make a kill -15 pidofzombiethread ?

Thanks a lot !

PostgreSQL 7.1.3 under freeBSD

--

Simeó Reig

Re: kill 'zombies'

Date:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Sime=F3_Reig?= <simeo@incofisa.com> writes:
> Sometimes access dies and we have lot of 'zombies' connections in our
> server, is it possible to kill only this threads without restart database ?

If it shows as "zombie" in ps, then you can't kill it (because it's
already dead).  kill will have absolutely zero effect.

This should not happen, though.  The only way a Postgres child process
could stay as "zombie" for more than a few milliseconds is if the
postmaster is hung up and unable to notice the dead child process.
If the postmaster were hung, you'd have a lot worse problems than zombie
processes --- you'd not be able to make new connections at all.  So I
think you aren't giving us the straight scoop.  Are you sure that these
zombie processes are actually Postgres processes?  Look to see what
their parent process is.

> PostgreSQL 7.1.3 under freeBSD

You could do worse than update to 7.2.  It's *much* harder for a
misbehaving client to hang the postmaster than it was pre-7.2.
But I'm not convinced that you're describing a Postgres problem.

            regards, tom lane

Re: kill 'zombies'

From
Simeó Reig
Date:
> If it shows as "zombie" in ps, then you can't kill it (because it's
> already dead).  kill will have absolutely zero effect.
>
> This should not happen, though.  The only way a Postgres child process
> could stay as "zombie" for more than a few milliseconds is if the
> postmaster is hung up and unable to notice the dead child process.
> If the postmaster were hung, you'd have a lot worse problems than zombie
> processes --- you'd not be able to make new connections at all.  So I
> think you aren't giving us the straight scoop.  Are you sure that these
> zombie processes are actually Postgres processes?  Look to see what
> their parent process is.

Well, I'm saying 'zombie' not like *nix terminology. I'm talking about
server proces that are waiting for a client that die unexpectly and can't
close connection.

> > PostgreSQL 7.1.3 under freeBSD
>
> You could do worse than update to 7.2.  It's *much* harder for a
> misbehaving client to hang the postmaster than it was pre-7.2.
> But I'm not convinced that you're describing a Postgres problem.
>
> regards, tom lane

No, no sorry, Postgres is HARDER a lot, we have more than 70 simultaneos
connection over ODBC, 107 tables, millions of rows and nothing has happened
since april,  really good job ! Update the database is in our TODO LIST but
we try to wait for a version with native replication (We have heard that is
possible to be available in 7.4.X ) . We have still a lot of work and there
is a problem with time representation that has changed between 7.1.X to
7.2.X that we can't resolve (decimal fraction of time) and we have a lot of
server side code. Thanks!

Simeó Reig