Windows client?

From
Laurette Cisneros
Date:
Hi all,

Quick question...any suggested clients that can be used on Windows to
access a PostgreSQL server on linux (via ODBC)?  Mostly for executing SQL
commands and perhaps other functions?

Laurette Cisneros
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
Passenger Information Everywhere

Re: Windows client?

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
If you want a nice admin interface, I recommend pgAdmin2
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org I have used pgAdim2 for several months now,
and helped test the current stable release.  It is a stable piece of
software.

If you are looking for something for end-users, you can use MS-Access as a
client to a PostgreSQL server, by linking tables (this can be done with VBA
code).

Mark Taff

Quick question...any suggested clients that can be used on Windows to
access a PostgreSQL server on linux (via ODBC)?  Mostly for executing SQL
commands and perhaps other functions?

Laurette Cisneros
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
Passenger Information Everywhere

Re: Windows client?

From
Terry
Date:
I was giving a minimalist answer here, so as not to imply that a
lot of software *had to be written* to use Access as a simple
retreival tool for Postgres.  I have trained numerous clients to
use the Linked Table Manager who have little more than 'some
Excel experience'.  Certainly, the possibilities you mention are
desirable in many situations, but they would require a
significant level of knowledge to implement.

terry

--
Terry

Re: Windows client?

From
Cedar Cox
Date:
Access can make an interesting environment.  If you just want to write SQL
and get a worksheet grid back then it may be the thing for you.  Linking
tables is not even necessary.  You must, of course, have the PG ODBC
driver installed.  Try this (a normal query, not passthrough or anything
special):

SELECT * FROM tblsomething
 IN ''

[ODBC;DSN=pgtestdb;DATABASE=testdb;SERVER=nanu;PORT=5432;UID=programmer;PWD=password;READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FAKEOIDINDEX=0;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=0;ROWVERSIONING=0;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=0;CONNSETTINGS=];

It works in Access 97.  I don't know about 2k (let me know if anyone tries
it).  Of course, you must change the connect string to your settings (and
change the query to something proper), but the connect string usually
never change, apart from possibly UID and PWD.  IIRC, after you create
this you can even use the graphical query builder in Access (with no
linking of tables).  The drawback is that I think (IIRC) there is one
connection to the server per query, but shouldn't be a problem if you're
just doing "casual" database work and not building an application.  Sorry
if I'm not remembering things correctly.. it's been a while since I've
done Access work.

-Cedar

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick question...any suggested clients that can be used on Windows to
> access a PostgreSQL server on linux (via ODBC)?  Mostly for executing SQL
> commands and perhaps other functions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Laurette Cisneros
> (510) 420-3137
> NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
> www.nextbus.com
> Passenger Information Everywhere

Re: Windows client?

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
I just tried this with Access 2000 on win2k with PostgreSQL on RH 7.2 and it
worked, with minor adjustments, as follows:

SELECT * FROM members
 IN ''
[ODBC;FILEDSN=dsn_name;DATABASE=db_name;SERVER=your_ip_address;PORT=5432;UID
=postgres;PWD=;READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FAKEOIDINDEX=0;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=0;ROWVER
SIONING=0;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=0;CONNSETTINGS=]
Where members.county='King';

Note that ADO connection objects distinguish between system dsn's (DSN) and
file dsn's (FILEDSN).  I also added a where clause to demonstrate where (no
pun intended :) ) to put the where clause in the query in relation to the IN
clause, for those new to more complicated queries.

Mark Taff

Access can make an interesting environment.  If you just want to write SQL
and get a worksheet grid back then it may be the thing for you.  Linking
tables is not even necessary.  You must, of course, have the PG ODBC
driver installed.  Try this (a normal query, not passthrough or anything
special):

SELECT * FROM tblsomething
 IN ''
[ODBC;DSN=pgtestdb;DATABASE=testdb;SERVER=nanu;PORT=5432;UID=programmer;PWD=
password;READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FAKEOIDINDEX=0;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=0;ROWVERSIONIN
G=0;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=0;CONNSETTINGS=];

It works in Access 97.  I don't know about 2k (let me know if anyone tries
it).  Of course, you must change the connect string to your settings (and
change the query to something proper), but the connect string usually
never change, apart from possibly UID and PWD.  IIRC, after you create
this you can even use the graphical query builder in Access (with no
linking of tables).  The drawback is that I think (IIRC) there is one
connection to the server per query, but shouldn't be a problem if you're
just doing "casual" database work and not building an application.  Sorry
if I'm not remembering things correctly.. it's been a while since I've
done Access work.

-Cedar

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick question...any suggested clients that can be used on Windows to
> access a PostgreSQL server on linux (via ODBC)?  Mostly for executing SQL
> commands and perhaps other functions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Laurette Cisneros