Win32 ODBC Issue!

From
"Медер Бакиров"
Date:
Hello!

I have installed Redhat Linux 7.2 and Postgresql-7.1 as a database.
I have a server-side program, which works with postgresql on Linux (writes some data to it) and need to write a client program on Windows.

I downloaded a driver from odbc.postgresql.org, but it is outdated (v.7.01): It doesn't support encrypted passwords, so it cannot connect to my database (even I do not supply passwords at all)

Where can I download the latest ODBC driver?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Win32 ODBC Issue!

From
luk@iplus.ru
Date:
Hello Медер,

МБ> Hello!

МБ> I have installed Redhat Linux 7.2 and Postgresql-7.1 as a database.
МБ> I have a server-side program, which works with postgresql on Linux (writes some data to it) and need to write a
clientprogram on Windows.

МБ> I downloaded a driver from odbc.postgresql.org, but it is outdated (v.7.01): It doesn't support encrypted
passwords,so it cannot connect to my database (even I do not supply passwords at all)

МБ> Where can I download the latest ODBC driver?

МБ> Thanks in advance.

ODBC driver is NOT outdated. Drivers has their own versioning, that is
not the same as Postgresql's one. ODBC does not support encrypted
passwords, so you have to use plain text authentification with your
Windows client.

BTW, the latest version of Postgresql ODBC drivers is 7.01.0009.

--
Best regards,
 evgeny                            mailto:evgeny@iplus.ru

Re: Win32 ODBC Issue!

From
Dave Page

Actually we are vaguely following the PostgreSQL  versions - at least in
Major/Minor number. The revision number doesn't follow PostgreSQL though.
The formatting of the number is also slightly different - this is to comply
with certain elements of the ODBC spec which expects version numbers in
xx.xx.xxxx form - hence the PostgreSQL 7.1 ODBC drivers version is
07.01.xxxx

Regards, Dave.

Re: Win32 ODBC Issue!

From
Dave Page
Date:
Can you post your pg_hba.conf file _to the list_, and note what your client
IP address is please - this is almost certainly where the problem lies I
would guess.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Win32 ODBC Issue!

From
Dave Page
Date:
The first correct match in the file is used:

host ispstat 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 crypt
host ispstat 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 trust

So *all* connections will use crypt. Try swapping the 2 entries around (note
that that will open up your database to the entire 192.168.0.x subnet which
may be a bad thing - you might want to try password instead of trust :-) ).

Regards, Dave.

Date:
> The first correct match in the file is used:
>
> host ispstat 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 crypt
> host ispstat 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 trust
>
> So *all* connections will use crypt. Try swapping the 2 entries around (note
> that that will open up your database to the entire 192.168.0.x subnet which
> may be a bad thing - you might want to try password instead of trust :-) ).

FYI, 7.2 ODBC will support MD5 encrypted passwords.

Re: Win32 ODBC Issue!

From
Dave Page

Yes, so I saw. pgAdmin II already supports that rather nice new feature (and
in fact did within a very short time of your patch being committed :-) ).

Dave.

Re: Win32 ODBC Issue!

From
evgeny
Date:
Hello Медер,

МБ> Hello!

МБ> I have installed Redhat Linux 7.2 and Postgresql-7.1 as a database.
МБ> I have a server-side program, which works with postgresql on Linux (writes some data to it) and need to write a
clientprogram on Windows.

МБ> I downloaded a driver from odbc.postgresql.org, but it is outdated (v.7.01): It doesn't support encrypted
passwords,so it cannot connect to my database (even I do not supply passwords at all)

МБ> Where can I download the latest ODBC driver?

МБ> Thanks in advance.

ODBC driver is NOT outdated. Drivers has their own versioning, that is
not same as Postgresql's one. ODBC does not support encrypted
passwords, so you have to use clear text authentification with your
Windows client.

BTW, the latest version of Postgresql ODBC drivers id 7.01.0009.