Postgresql 7.1.2 and StarOffice 5.2

From
"Arnaud ESPANEL"
Date:
Hello,

I haven't managed to access POstgresql 7.1.2
databases using StarOffice 5.2 using jdbc or odbc.

I read quite a good number of posts on the subject,
and it appearts that nobody managed to do it using
jdbc, but some managed with odbc.

Using Debian package for Postgres 7.1.2 and Debian
jdbc Driver,  i managed to connect to the database
but the list of tables is empty !
I have exactly the same problem with odbc (using
Debian unixodbc).

I just need a (reliable) read access to my table,
i hope it will be possible...

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,

Arnaud Espanel.

Re: Postgresql 7.1.2 and StarOffice 5.2

From
"Arnaud ESPANEL"
Date:
> but the list of tables is empty !
> I have exactly the same problem with odbc (using
> Debian unixodbc).

I forgot to tell that i have managed to access my Postgresql
database from MS Access using ODBC...

Arnaud.

Date:
> but the list of tables is empty !
> I have exactly the same problem with odbc (using
> Debian unixodbc).

I forgot to tell that i have managed to access my Postgresql
database from MS Access using ODBC...

Arnaud.

Re: Postgresql 7.1.2 and StarOffice 5.2

From
Olivier Berger
Date:
Arnaud ESPANEL wrote:

> > but the list of tables is empty !
> > I have exactly the same problem with odbc (using
> > Debian unixodbc).
>
> I forgot to tell that i have managed to access my Postgresql
> database from MS Access using ODBC...

You mean that it works perfectly with MS Access and not with StarOffice
5.2 ?

Under StarOffice, do you see the list of tables in the database
"data-source" properties (last tab) ?

Are the names of your tables rather strange (special characters, ...) ?

--
Olivier BERGER                          IDEALX S.A.S.
Développeur senior                      15-17, av. de Ségur

Date:
> Arnaud ESPANEL wrote:
> >
> > > but the list of tables is empty !
> > > I have exactly the same problem with odbc (using
> > > Debian unixodbc).
> >
> > I forgot to tell that i have managed to access my Postgresql
> > database from MS Access using ODBC...
> >

> You mean that it works perfectly with MS Access and not with StarOffice
> 5.2 ?

Well, i just wanted to say i managed to get the list of tables using
Acess/ODBC, but i have not really tested read access and requests to tables.
I only used it to export Access tables to Postgres via ODBC (i can say
that it approximatively worked, but i didn't check tables in details).

> Under StarOffice, do you see the list of tables in the database
> "data-source" properties (last tab) ?

That's my problem : i can't see any table in this tab, so even if
i can go further, i can't do anything with it....
I have a similar problem with the unixodbctool DataManager :
it can connect to the DB, but it can't retreive the liste of table, but
it manage to query the DB !

I just need to acces tables in read only (for mailing using pgsql database).

> Are the names of your tables rather strange (special characters, ...) ?
No, the name of the table have no special caracter (only standard ASCII,
no spaces, ...)

Regards,

Arnaud.

Date:
> Arnaud ESPANEL wrote:
> >
> > > but the list of tables is empty !
> > > I have exactly the same problem with odbc (using
> > > Debian unixodbc).
> >
> > I forgot to tell that i have managed to access my Postgresql
> > database from MS Access using ODBC...
> >

> You mean that it works perfectly with MS Access and not with StarOffice
> 5.2 ?

Well, i just wanted to say i managed to get the list of tables using
Acess/ODBC, but i have not really tested read access and requests to tables.
I only used it to export Access tables to Postgres via ODBC (i can say
that it approximatively worked, but i didn't check tables in details).

> Under StarOffice, do you see the list of tables in the database
> "data-source" properties (last tab) ?

That's my problem : i can't see any table in this tab, so even if
i can go further, i can't do anything with it....
I have a similar problem with the unixodbctool DataManager :
it can connect to the DB, but it can't retreive the liste of table, but
it manage to query the DB !

I just need to acces tables in read only (for mailing using pgsql database).

> Are the names of your tables rather strange (special characters, ...) ?
No, the name of the table have no special caracter (only standard ASCII,
no spaces, ...)

Regards,

Arnaud.

Re: Postgresql 7.1.2 and StarOffice 5.2

From
Jorge Santos
Date:
"Arnaud ESPANEL" <arnaud.espanel@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> > but the list of tables is empty !
> > I have exactly the same problem with odbc (using
> > Debian unixodbc).
>
> I forgot to tell that i have managed to access my Postgresql
> database from MS Access using ODBC...
>
> Arnaud.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

I seem to recall I used to have the same problem, I think it was
something about the driver version, but I'm not sure, I finally got it
working with iodbc.  If you need more help send me a mail and I'll
look into my setup.

jorge santos