RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: ODBC and Access 2000

From
Dave Page

Not that I'm aware of, however I'm now maintaining the ftp area (and
included .html files) - the 2 should really be in sync information wise
IMHO.

regards, Dave.

> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Joerg Last wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I don't know if somebody else told you,
> > but there is a site
> > http://odbc.postgres.org
> > with many hints, the newest Postgres-ODBC-Driver for Win
> > and a FAQ about ODBC and especially Access.
> >
> > - Joerg.
> >

> > ---------------------------(end of

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: ODBC and Access 2000

From
Dave Page

Ahh, hi Vince. You may want to take a look at the odbc directory on the ftp
site which has updated docs in it now. I did email Marc about getting them
on the website rather than just ftp but got no response :-(.

Anyway, I'm currently looking after the odbc directory on the ftp server, as
well as building the binary distros in there, so perhaps we should
co-ordinate our efforts. It would be good imho to use the ftp area purely
for downloads and move the docs to the website as the 'one true copy'

What do you (and others) think?

Regards, Dave.

RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: ODBC and Access 2000

From
Vince Vielhaber
> > > Hey everyone, this should be advertised a bit more... ;)  BTW, is
> > > someone maintaining this page?
> >
> > I am, sorta.  I just finished putting it together and am
> > getting things set up so that tips and stuff can be easily
> > added.  With the upcoming holidays, and a bunch of other
> > stuff the changes will be sporadic.  For those who don't know
> > me, I'm the PostgreSQL webmaster.
> >
> > Vince.
>
> Ahh, hi Vince. You may want to take a look at the odbc directory on the ftp
> site which has updated docs in it now. I did email Marc about getting them
> on the website rather than just ftp but got no response :-(.

He's been realllllllllllly busy.   Which docs?  Right now for the FAQ I'm
just pointing to the one on the ftpsite.  I see the config help has
something now.  Has the main page changed any?  What else is there?  The
other docs I have there point inside the interactive docs to the odbc
section.

> Anyway, I'm currently looking after the odbc directory on the ftp server, as
> well as building the binary distros in there, so perhaps we should
> co-ordinate our efforts. It would be good imho to use the ftp area purely
> for downloads and move the docs to the website as the 'one true copy'

For downloads I'm also pointing to the FTP site.

Vince.

RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: ODBC and Access 2000

From
Dave Page

Happens to the best of us :-)

> Which docs?  Right now for
> the FAQ I'm
> just pointing to the one on the ftpsite.  I see the config
> help has something now.  Has the main page changed any?  What
> else is there?  The other docs I have there point inside the
> interactive docs to the odbc section.

Your main page already mirrors the changes I made to index.html
download.html describes (and links to) the various download options.
configuration.html lists the various config options.

> > Anyway, I'm currently looking after the odbc directory on the ftp
> > server, as well as building the binary distros in there, so
> perhaps we
> > should co-ordinate our efforts. It would be good imho to
> use the ftp
> > area purely for downloads and move the docs to the website
> as the 'one
> > true copy'
>
> For downloads I'm also pointing to the FTP site.

Yes. I think if the three pages I've listed above, and faq.html can be added
to the site as proper pages (i.e. formatted to match the rest of the site,
and served by httpd, then the copies in the ftp area can be removed, so that
the ftp area is purely for downloads. That way odbc.postgresql.org *is* the
one source of good odbc info.

Regards, Dave.

Date:
On Wed, 23 May 2001, Dave Page wrote:

> > Which docs?  Right now for
> > the FAQ I'm
> > just pointing to the one on the ftpsite.  I see the config
> > help has something now.  Has the main page changed any?  What
> > else is there?  The other docs I have there point inside the
> > interactive docs to the odbc section.
>
> Your main page already mirrors the changes I made to index.html
> download.html describes (and links to) the various download options.
> configuration.html lists the various config options.
>

> > > Anyway, I'm currently looking after the odbc directory on the ftp
> > > server, as well as building the binary distros in there, so
> > perhaps we
> > > should co-ordinate our efforts. It would be good imho to
> > use the ftp
> > > area purely for downloads and move the docs to the website
> > as the 'one
> > > true copy'
> >
> > For downloads I'm also pointing to the FTP site.
>
> Yes. I think if the three pages I've listed above, and faq.html can be added
> to the site as proper pages (i.e. formatted to match the rest of the site,
> and served by httpd, then the copies in the ftp area can be removed, so that
> the ftp area is purely for downloads. That way odbc.postgresql.org *is* the
> one source of good odbc info.

The current look/feel of the odbc site is just something I cobbled
together.  I'm working on something that'll be easier to use and looks
better, I'm planning on stealing some of Justin's ideas on the techdocs
site but with a different color scheme.  Then if it looks and works good
I'll merge the design into the main site as well.

How often do the three pages get updated?

Vince.

RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: ODBC and Access 2000

From
Dave Page

No I didn't notice - I must admit I've been a little distracted today by
someone else's code that appeared in one of my programs :-(.

Leaving the files in the ftp site might be useful to others. If Vince
applies his formatting to them (should be relatively easy, I already
stripped them to barebones html), and uses those copies in the website then
I can continue to update the content as required - hey presto, one ftp site
and www site permanently in sync!

Regards, Dave.

RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: ODBC and Access 2000

From
Dave Page

Very rarely in theory. I've just brought all of them up-to-date recently
since Byron stopped working on them, with a view to keeping them low
maintenance.

BTW: (I'm not sure who would deal with this - I did let Marc know but...) I
don't know if this is a problem with postgresql.rmplc.co.uk or with the
mirrors in general, but there is a mixture of old versions of files, and
deleted files on that mirror in the odbc directory. Something is definately
wrong...

Regards, Dave.

Date:
On Wed, 23 May 2001, Dave Page wrote:

> > How often do the three pages get updated?
>
> Very rarely in theory. I've just brought all of them up-to-date recently
> since Byron stopped working on them, with a view to keeping them low
> maintenance.

Ok, then we can do something else for updates.  I'll try to get things
moved this week.

> BTW: (I'm not sure who would deal with this - I did let Marc know but...) I
> don't know if this is a problem with postgresql.rmplc.co.uk or with the
> mirrors in general, but there is a mixture of old versions of files, and
> deleted files on that mirror in the odbc directory. Something is definately
> wrong...

I'll try to contact the site admin.

Vince.

Date:
On Wed, 23 May 2001, Dave Page wrote:

> > BTW, you probably didn't notice, the ftp stuff is actually
> > served by http..
>
> No I didn't notice - I must admit I've been a little distracted today by
> someone else's code that appeared in one of my programs :-(.
>
> Leaving the files in the ftp site might be useful to others. If Vince
> applies his formatting to them (should be relatively easy, I already
> stripped them to barebones html), and uses those copies in the website then
> I can continue to update the content as required - hey presto, one ftp site
> and www site permanently in sync!

Works for me.

Vince.