encrypt odbc transactions?

From
"Rony Khoury"
Date:
Hello,

I'm worried about the transactions of sensitive data on the network without
encryption. Is there any way to secure not only passwords but also data?

I read in the mailling list archive something about the possibility of using
SSL to do transactions through an encrypted tunel.
Did any one manage to do that?

Any hint or lead will be much appretiated.

regards,
Rony.

Re: encrypt odbc transactions?

Date:
"Rony Khoury" <rkrk@hotmail.com> writes:
> I read in the mailling list archive something about the possibility of using
> SSL to do transactions through an encrypted tunel.
> Did any one manage to do that?

I do not think ODBC has any support for SSL (though I might be wrong).
However, if you can set up an SSH tunnel then you can pass the Postgres
connection through that, without any special cooperation from either
the ODBC or Postgres server side.

            regards, tom lane

Re: encrypt odbc transactions?

From
Cedar Cox
Date:
What's required for this?  Is it just a working sshd on the linux side and
ssh client on windows?  (Could you give an example of the magic command
that will make it all work? ;)

-Cedar

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Rony Khoury" <rkrk@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I read in the mailling list archive something about the possibility of using
> > SSL to do transactions through an encrypted tunel.
> > Did any one manage to do that?
>
> I do not think ODBC has any support for SSL (though I might be wrong).
> However, if you can set up an SSH tunnel then you can pass the Postgres
> connection through that, without any special cooperation from either
> the ODBC or Postgres server side.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: encrypt odbc transactions?

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Hello,

The problem with SSL is that it is very slow.
The best solution I used until now is CIPE, available both on Linux and
Windows.

Easy to install and very fast because kernel based:
Linux: http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html
Windows: http://cipe-win32.sourceforge.net/