Compiling with Visual C++

From
Abraham Hinteregger
Date:
Hello!
I'm trying to compile postgresql with VC++ using this instructions (i need a NAMEDATALEN of 256 instead if 64):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/install-windows-full.html

I'm having difficulties though and I've been trying for a few days now.

I get this error:
>could not identify perl library version at src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 218 (line 583 with 9.5 beta2)

Commenting out the #die does some stuff but the build still fails with lots of error messages (I could prove them if needed).

Does anyone that has recently successfully built postgresql on Windows with VC++ know wether the instructions are up to date and it should work as described?
If this is not the right place to ask - where should I go?

Regards

Re: Compiling with Visual C++

From
Albe Laurenz
Date:
Abraham Hinteregger wrote:
> I'm trying to compile postgresql with VC++ using this instructions (i need a NAMEDATALEN of 256 instead if 64):
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/install-windows-full.html
>
> I'm having difficulties though and I've been trying for a few days now.
>
> I get this error:
> >could not identify perl library version at src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 218 (line 583 with 9.5 beta2)
>
> Commenting out the #die does some stuff but the build still fails with lots of error messages (I could prove them if
needed).

> Does anyone that has recently successfully built postgresql on Windows with VC++ know wether the instructions are up
todate and it should work as described?
> If this is not the right place to ask - where should I go?

This is a good place to ask.

I've looked at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/install-windows-full.html#AEN28860
and saw that ActiveState Perl 5.8 or later is required - do you have that installed?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe