Cannot start a cluster

From
Léa Massiot
Date:
Hello,
Thank you for reading my post.

I am a novice PostgreSQL user.
---- OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
---- PostgreSQL: 9.4.1
---- Commands are issued in command line in "cmd.exe" ran as user
"postgres".

Some time ago, I created a cluster "my_cluster_1" with a database inside
"my_db_1".
Today, when I try to start the cluster, here is what happens:
windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> pg_ctl start -o "-p 5449" -D
my_cluster_1
server starting

windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> psql -p 5449
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5449?
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5449?

Question 1: How can I investigate what the problem is? Is there a log file
somewhere?
Question 2: Given the messages above, can you see what's wrong and how to
fix the problem?

Note that I do not experience this problem with another cluster that I have:
windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> pg_ctl start -o "-p 5450" -D
my_cluster_2
server starting
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2015-11-25 10:29:17 CET
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> psql -p 5450
psql (9.4.1)
WARNING: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
         8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
         page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \c my_db_2
WARNING: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
         8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
         page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
You are now connected to database "my_db_2" as user "postgres".
my_db_2=#

Thank you for helping.
Best regards.

Re: Cannot start a cluster

From
Albe Laurenz
Date:
Léa Massiot wrote:
> Today, when I try to start the cluster, here is what happens:
> windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> pg_ctl start -o "-p 5449" -D
> my_cluster_1
> server starting
>
> windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> psql -p 5449
> psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
>         Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
>         TCP/IP connections on port 5449?

Can you check with Task Manager if the PostgreSQL server processes are running?

Look into the server log file to see what happened:

In your cluster directory there is a file postgresql.conf.
Check the following entries:
   log_destination
   logging_collector
   log_directory
   log_filename

They should help you to find the log file.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Cannot start a cluster

From
Léa Massiot
Date:
Hello and thank you for your answer.

> Can you check with Task Manager if the PostgreSQL server processes are
> running?

No: no PostgreSQL processes are running.

About the log file:

With the cluster that I can start (the one associated with the port 5450),
if I use the command:
windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> pg_ctl start -o "-p 5450" -D
my_cluster_2 -l "D:\somewhere\pg_logs_2.txt"
The file "pg_logs_2.txt" is created and written.

With the cluster that I CANNOT start (the one associated with the port
5449), if I use the command:
windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> pg_ctl start -o "-p 5449" -D
my_cluster_1 -l "D:\somewhere\pg_logs_1.txt"
The file "pg_logs_1.txt" is created but nothing is written in it.

So I still have no clue about what's going wrong.

Thank you for helping.
Best regards.
Léa

Re: Cannot start a cluster

From
Felipe Santos

Hello and thank you for your answer.

> Can you check with Task Manager if the PostgreSQL server processes are
> running?

No: no PostgreSQL processes are running.

About the log file:

With the cluster that I can start (the one associated with the port 5450),
if I use the command:
windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> pg_ctl start -o "-p 5450" -D
my_cluster_2 -l "D:\somewhere\pg_logs_2.txt"
The file "pg_logs_2.txt" is created and written.

With the cluster that I CANNOT start (the one associated with the port
5449), if I use the command:
windows_cmd.exe_ran_as_user_postgres> pg_ctl start -o "-p 5449" -D
my_cluster_1 -l "D:\somewhere\pg_logs_1.txt"
The file "pg_logs_1.txt" is created but nothing is written in it.

So I still have no clue about what's going wrong.

Thank you for helping.
Best regards.
Léa

Some questions:

Is there any chance that this port ("5449") is already in use by another process? I believe you can check it using netstat (or any other tool of preference of course)

Have you tried using another port number ? I know that "5450" is up and running, but maybe the problem is related to starting two instances in parallel, so you could test another port (e.g.: 5451 instead of 5449) while 5450 is working.

Hope it helps you finding the source of the problem.

Re: Cannot start a cluster

From
Léa Massiot
Date:
Hello and thank you for your answer.

> Is there any chance that this port ("5449") is already in use by another
> process?
I just checked: this port is not already used by another process.

> I know that "5450" is up and running
No, I stopped the cluster.

> Have you tried using another port number ?
No, changing the port in the cluster's "postgresql.conf" configuration file
("port" parameter) doesn't change anything.

Best regards.

Re: Cannot start a cluster

From
"Amit S."
Date:
Can you try to increase the log level and then see if anything is logged in the log file.

thanks, Amit

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Léa Massiot <lmhelp1@orange.fr> wrote:
Hello and thank you for your answer.

> Is there any chance that this port ("5449") is already in use by another
> process?
I just checked: this port is not already used by another process.

> I know that "5450" is up and running
No, I stopped the cluster.

> Have you tried using another port number ?
No, changing the port in the cluster's "postgresql.conf" configuration file
("port" parameter) doesn't change anything.

Best regards.

Amit Sharma

Re: Cannot start a cluster

From
Léa Massiot
Date:
Hello Amit and others,

Indeed, I incremented the log level and found out that the cluster had been
created with a PostgreSQL server version 9.1 while I am now using a
PostgreSQL server version 9.4.
This is the reason why I cannot start the cluster.

Thank you for your help.