Better use of memory

From
"Jake O'brien Fagan"
Date:
Howdy,

I am relatively new to Postgres, and I am trying to properly tune my primary database. Looking at some server stats, my database does not seem to utilize memory effectively. The server is 48GB VPS on Linode but never uses more than 1500MBs of RAM. Can anyone give me some feedback on some of my basic settings and possibly provide suggestions to better tune my database?

Thank you,
Jahkobi

Server spec: RAM: 48GB CPU : 16x Cores Postgresql settings: Max Connections: 120 Shared Buffers: 12288MB Work Mem: 144MB Maintenance Work Mem: 6144MB Effective Cache Size: 36864MB Checkpoint Segments: 50 Checkpoint Timeout: 1h Checkpoint Completion Target: 0.5

Jake O'Brien Fagan

Ruby Engineer
househappy.org
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Re: Better use of memory

From
Jayadevan
Date:
Are you have issues with response time? Which stats are telling you that
memory is not being utilized effectively?

Re: Better use of memory

From
"Jake O'brien Fagan"
Date:
No issue with response times. At least I think not. Looking at NewRelic, the database generally responds in <10ms. My data is currently >150GB, and it seems odd the server's memory usage never tops 1500MB when many of my key settings are far greater than few GBs. Should I not worry?