Slow W7 64 ODBC connection

From
"Achim Jansen, Promax VPM"
Date:
Hi,

a client of mine is complaining about a slow ODBC driver connection on his Windows 7 64 bit PC. He is using an MS Access 2002 Database connected via a Postgres ODBC driver version 9.00.03.00 to a PostgreSQL database server version 7.4.19 on a web server. When connecting from a W7 32 bit everything works fine and fast.

I searched the faq's and documentation but couldn't find an answer. Therefore I am hoping that someone on this list could help.

I used the following instruction to set up the driver on the client´s machine:
  • Press the Windows Start button and select Run
    or press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard
  • In the Run window type %SystemRoot%\syswow64\odbcad32.exe
  • Press Enter and set up using the ODBC Data Source Administrator

I also came across these instructions and would like to ask whether it's worth a try:

  • Download the Postgresql 8.4 ODBC driver here
  • Unzip the file on to your Desktop (double-click the file)
  • Double-click the Psqlodbc file
  • Accept the License and click Next to install the driver
  • When the installation is complete, click the Upgrade.bat file - and follow the onscreen instructions.
  • When the upgrade is complete, go to the search bar in your Start Menu.
  • Type in “ C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ ”
  • Open the folder that shows up in this list.
  • Search through this folder until you find the “odbcad32.exe” file.
  • Open it. You will be brought to the ODBC Data Source Administrator screen. etc.

Or is the problem not related to the way the driver is intalled? Also, is there a 64 bit ODBC driver? I couldn't find anything so far.

Sorry about so many questions and thank you in advance for your help,

best regards,

Achim Jansen

Re: Slow W7 64 ODBC connection

Date:
"Achim Jansen, Promax VPM" <info@promax-vpm.com> writes:
> a client of mine is complaining about a slow ODBC driver connection on
> his Windows 7 64 bit PC. He is using an MS Access 2002 Database connected
> via a Postgres ODBC driver version 9.00.03.00 to a PostgreSQL database
> server version 7.4.19 on a web server. When connecting from a W7 32 bit
> everything works fine and fast.

One theory you should check into right away is the possibility that
something is broken about DNS name resolution on the W64 machine.
That very often manifests as slow hostname lookup and hence slow
connections.

If that's not it, you'd probably have better luck asking on the
pgsql-odbc list.

            regards, tom lane