EXPLAIN explanation

From
Binand Sethumadhavan
Date:
Is there a comprehensive online document or printed book that explains
the EXPLAIN output? Something akin to the MySQL documentation here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/explain-output.html

I would really like to know what EXPLAIN is telling me, and more
importantly, what it is not telling me. I have read some documents,
but none that breaks it down to pieces and explains each piece
separately.

TIA.

Binand

EXPLAIN explanation

From
Binand Sethumadhavan
Date:
Is there a comprehensive online document or printed book that explains
the EXPLAIN output? Something akin to the MySQL documentation here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/explain-output.html

I would really like to know what EXPLAIN is telling me, and more
importantly, what it is not telling me. I have read some documents,
but none that breaks it down to pieces and explains each piece
separately.

TIA.

Binand

Re: EXPLAIN explanation

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Binand Sethumadhavan, 30.03.2012 12:56:
> Is there a comprehensive online document or printed book that explains
> the EXPLAIN output? Something akin to the MySQL documentation here:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/explain-output.html
>
> I would really like to know what EXPLAIN is telling me, and more
> importantly, what it is not telling me. I have read some documents,
> but none that breaks it down to pieces and explains each piece
> separately.

This is a compilation of various articles on this topic:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_EXPLAIN

And then there is

http://www.packtpub.com/postgresql-90-high-performance/book

which also has a chapter dedicated to EXPLAIN

Re: EXPLAIN explanation

From
Binand Sethumadhavan
Date:
On 30 March 2012 17:01, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_EXPLAIN

Been here, but...

> http://www.packtpub.com/postgresql-90-high-performance/book

Missed this. The ToC as per Amazon seems to indicate this is something
I should have on my bookshelf. Thanks!

Binand

Re: EXPLAIN explanation

From