Install & Launch PgAdmin on CentOS 6.2 with PostgreSQL 8.4.9

From
Angus
Date:
I'm very new to PostgreSQL and PgAdmin.  Also have relatively little Linux
experience.

I've scoured both this forum and the rest of the web via Google, and am
pretty confident that this issue isn't answered elsewhere.

My two issues are:

1. Installing PgAdmin

After a lengthy search, I chose to download the v5.03 rpm found here:
http://yum.postgresql.org/8.4/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/repoview/phpPgAdmin.html

I installed it directly from Mozilla, and the process took care of all the
dependencies with no errors reported.

But I'm not certain I have installed the correct package, because of the
second issue...

2. Launching PgAdmin

I cannot figure out how actually to launch the PgAdmin GUI.  Browsing the
directories on my Linux box, I see loads of PHP and Javascript files in the
/usr/share/phpPgAdmin directory, including one called "index.php" - this
appears to be the starting point.  However, it looks like it's intended to
be embedded in a web page, yet there's no HTML document in this directory -
or anywhere else that I can see.

I've obviously overlooked something fundamental, so would be very grateful
for some help.

Many thanks in advance,

Angus

Re: Install & Launch PgAdmin on CentOS 6.2 with PostgreSQL 8.4.9

From
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Date:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:41:27 -0800 (PST)
Angus <angusmca@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I installed it directly from Mozilla, and the process took care of all the
> dependencies with no errors reported.

Sooo, you were browsing as the root user... Pretty weird and very
dangerous.

> 2. Launching PgAdmin
>
> I cannot figure out how actually to launch the PgAdmin GUI.  Browsing the
> directories on my Linux box, I see loads of PHP and Javascript files in the
> /usr/share/phpPgAdmin directory, including one called "index.php" - this

PgAdmin is NOT a php blurb, it is a *program*, unless you mixed it
up with PHPadmin... - and there are docs provided with any package
(into or into packageName-doc), reading them usually help (a lot).

--
Handy hint:
    A tea bag or two can be a dandy substitute when you're out

Re: Install & Launch PgAdmin on CentOS 6.2 with PostgreSQL 8.4.9

From
Angus
Date:
Thanks Jiff for your reply.

To reassure you, I wasn't browsing as root (I'm not that naive!), but as the
user 'postgres'.  CentOS packages installer prompted for root password at
appropriate moment.

As for documentation, there wasn't any that was available as a separate
download to the package.  But at your suggestion, I opened the rpm with a
package browser, and found a doc directory within it.  I'll take some time
to look through this for further info.

Definitely didn't mix up PgAdmin with PHPAdmin: for certain, the active part
of the package contains only PHP scripts.  Sounds like I have the wrong
package - can you point me to the right one?  Have struggled to locate it.

Thanks for the help so far.

Re: Install & Launch PgAdmin on CentOS 6.2 with PostgreSQL 8.4.9

From
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Date:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 01:56:37 -0800 (PST)
Angus <angusmca@btinternet.com> wrote:

> As for documentation, there wasn't any that was available as a separate
> download to the package.  But at your suggestion, I opened the rpm with a
> package browser, and found a doc directory within it.  I'll take some time
> to look through this for further info.

Normally, a look at /doc/INSTALL or README file should give you the
installation mod'op.

> Definitely didn't mix up PgAdmin with PHPAdmin: for certain, the active part
> of the package contains only PHP scripts.  Sounds like I have the wrong
> package - can you point me to the right one?  Have struggled to locate it.

I think you installed phppgadmin; deinstall it and install pgadmin3
(on Debian it is its name but YMMV) - once done, launch it directly
from the command line or from the graphic menu of your WM (it is
usually located into the development section).

--
..you could spend *all day* customizing the title bar.  Believe me.
I speak from experience."