Basic Query Question

From
Jude Lucien
Date:
Sorry for the basic question, I can't seem to figure it out.

I have two tables, booking and bike.  Both have bike_id as primary key.

I am trying to return all bike_id's where bike.model='Kona' AND
booking.booking_date DOES NOT EQUAL 'date';

My query is as follows:

SELECT bike.bike_id FROM bike,booking WHERE bike.model='model' AND
booking.booking_date!='2011-11-20' AND bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;

Any help appreciated!

Jude

--
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free"  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Ramy Abdel-Azim
Date:
i'm not sure but i think not being explicit about the join causes psql
to try to join on ID.

What are you getting? an error or an empty result set?

I would think you should do the join explicitly like this:

select bike.bike_id from bike  join booking on bike.bike_id =
booking.bike_id where booking.date != '2011-11-20'

On 12/7/11 3:55 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
> Sorry for the basic question, I can't seem to figure it out.
>
> I have two tables, booking and bike.  Both have bike_id as primary key.
>
> I am trying to return all bike_id's where bike.model='Kona' AND
> booking.booking_date DOES NOT EQUAL 'date';
>
> My query is as follows:
>
> SELECT bike.bike_id FROM bike,booking WHERE bike.model='model' AND
> booking.booking_date!='2011-11-20' AND bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Jude

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Jude Lucien
Date:
I've just realised why it may not be working - bike_id is not the
primary key of booking.  booking_id is.

I was getting results, just not the correct ones.  There are 23 bikes
of a certain model, two of which are booked on a certain date.  My
query should then return 21 bike_id's.

Can I even do a join if booking.bike_id is not the primary key?

On 7 December 2011 21:02, Ramy Abdel-Azim
<ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com> wrote:
> i'm not sure but i think not being explicit about the join causes psql to
> try to join on ID.
>
> What are you getting? an error or an empty result set?
>
> I would think you should do the join explicitly like this:
>
> select bike.bike_id from bike  join booking on bike.bike_id =
> booking.bike_id where booking.date != '2011-11-20'
>

> On 12/7/11 3:55 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for the basic question, I can't seem to figure it out.
>>
>> I have two tables, booking and bike.  Both have bike_id as primary key.
>>
>> I am trying to return all bike_id's where bike.model='Kona' AND
>> booking.booking_date DOES NOT EQUAL 'date';
>>
>> My query is as follows:
>>
>> SELECT bike.bike_id FROM bike,booking WHERE bike.model='model' AND
>> booking.booking_date!='2011-11-20' AND bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;
>>
>> Any help appreciated!
>>
>> Jude

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free"  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Ramy Abdel-Azim
Date:
try it out and let us know.
we anxiously await your reply ;-)

On 12/7/11 4:15 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
> I've just realised why it may not be working - bike_id is not the
> primary key of booking.  booking_id is.
>
> I was getting results, just not the correct ones.  There are 23 bikes
> of a certain model, two of which are booked on a certain date.  My
> query should then return 21 bike_id's.
>
> Can I even do a join if booking.bike_id is not the primary key?
>

> On 7 December 2011 21:02, Ramy Abdel-Azim
> <ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com>  wrote:
>> i'm not sure but i think not being explicit about the join causes psql to
>> try to join on ID.
>>
>> What are you getting? an error or an empty result set?
>>
>> I would think you should do the join explicitly like this:
>>
>> select bike.bike_id from bike  join booking on bike.bike_id =
>> booking.bike_id where booking.date != '2011-11-20'
>>

>> On 12/7/11 3:55 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
>>> Sorry for the basic question, I can't seem to figure it out.
>>>
>>> I have two tables, booking and bike.  Both have bike_id as primary key.
>>>
>>> I am trying to return all bike_id's where bike.model='Kona' AND
>>> booking.booking_date DOES NOT EQUAL 'date';
>>>
>>> My query is as follows:
>>>
>>> SELECT bike.bike_id FROM bike,booking WHERE bike.model='model' AND
>>> booking.booking_date!='2011-11-20' AND bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated!
>>>
>>> Jude
>>>

>> --

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Jude Lucien
Date:
That query doesn't work for me as I can't make seem to add "WHERE
model='model'" to the query if I use a JOIN.

On 7 December 2011 21:16, Ramy Abdel-Azim
<ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com> wrote:
> try it out and let us know.
> we anxiously await your reply ;-)
>

> On 12/7/11 4:15 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
>>
>> I've just realised why it may not be working - bike_id is not the
>> primary key of booking.  booking_id is.
>>
>> I was getting results, just not the correct ones.  There are 23 bikes
>> of a certain model, two of which are booked on a certain date.  My
>> query should then return 21 bike_id's.
>>
>> Can I even do a join if booking.bike_id is not the primary key?
>>

>> On 7 December 2011 21:02, Ramy Abdel-Azim
>> <ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> i'm not sure but i think not being explicit about the join causes psql to
>>> try to join on ID.
>>>
>>> What are you getting? an error or an empty result set?
>>>
>>> I would think you should do the join explicitly like this:
>>>
>>> select bike.bike_id from bike  join booking on bike.bike_id =
>>> booking.bike_id where booking.date != '2011-11-20'

>>> --

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free"  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Ramy Abdel-Azim
Date:
could you post the query you tried?

On 12/7/11 4:20 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
> That query doesn't work for me as I can't make seem to add "WHERE
> model='model'" to the query if I use a JOIN.
>

> On 7 December 2011 21:16, Ramy Abdel-Azim
> <ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com>  wrote:
>> try it out and let us know.
>> we anxiously await your reply ;-)
>>

>> On 12/7/11 4:15 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
>>> I've just realised why it may not be working - bike_id is not the
>>> primary key of booking.  booking_id is.
>>>
>>> I was getting results, just not the correct ones.  There are 23 bikes
>>> of a certain model, two of which are booked on a certain date.  My
>>> query should then return 21 bike_id's.
>>>
>>> Can I even do a join if booking.bike_id is not the primary key?

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Jude Lucien
Date:
SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike WHERE bike.model='Kona Dew SE
FRR' AND booking.booking_date='2011-11-20' JOIN booking ON
bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;

returns a syntax error at JOIN

SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike LEFT JOIN booking ON
bike.bike_id = booking.bike_id AND booking.booking_date <>
'2011-11-20' WHERE bike.model = 'Kona Dew SE FRR';

returns 23 results - two of those results have a booking date of
2011-11-20, so it should return 21 results.

Cheers

On 7 December 2011 21:22, Ramy Abdel-Azim
<ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com> wrote:
> could you post the query you tried?
>

> On 12/7/11 4:20 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
>>
>> That query doesn't work for me as I can't make seem to add "WHERE
>> model='model'" to the query if I use a JOIN.
>>

>> On 7 December 2011 21:16, Ramy Abdel-Azim
>> <ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> try it out and let us know.
>>> we anxiously await your reply ;-)

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free"  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Ramy Abdel-Azim
Date:
your syntax is wrong.
look here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-select.html

all joins come before the where clause.

On 12/7/11 4:35 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
> SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike WHERE bike.model='Kona Dew SE
> FRR' AND booking.booking_date='2011-11-20' JOIN booking ON
> bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;
>
> returns a syntax error at JOIN
>
> SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike LEFT JOIN booking ON
> bike.bike_id = booking.bike_id AND booking.booking_date<>
> '2011-11-20' WHERE bike.model = 'Kona Dew SE FRR';
>
> returns 23 results - two of those results have a booking date of
> 2011-11-20, so it should return 21 results.
>
> Cheers
>

> On 7 December 2011 21:22, Ramy Abdel-Azim
> <ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com>  wrote:
>> could you post the query you tried?
>>

>> On 12/7/11 4:20 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
>>> That query doesn't work for me as I can't make seem to add "WHERE
>>> model='model'" to the query if I use a JOIN.

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Bret Fledderjohn
Date:
Hi Jude,

SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike WHERE bike.model='Kona Dew SE
FRR' AND booking.booking_date='2011-11-20' JOIN booking ON
bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;

returns a syntax error at JOIN

JOIN is in the wrong location.  Needs to be before the WHERE clause.

SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike LEFT JOIN booking ON
bike.bike_id = booking.bike_id AND booking.booking_date <>
'2011-11-20' WHERE bike.model = 'Kona Dew SE FRR';

You're comparing the booking_date in the JOIN and you should be doing this in the WHERE clause since that will select only the booking.bike_id's rented on all other dates.

returns 23 results - two of those results have a booking date of
2011-11-20, so it should return 21 results.

Cheers

--

- Bret
"Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds
That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress,
When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds
Where shining vistas mock man's littleness?"
 - H.P. Lovecraft, "Phaeton" (1918)

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Ramy Abdel-Azim
try this:

On 12/7/11 4:45 PM, Ramy Abdel-Azim wrote:
> your syntax is wrong.
> look here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-select.html
>
> all joins come before the where clause.
>
> On 12/7/11 4:35 PM, Jude Lucien wrote:
>> SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike WHERE bike.model='Kona Dew SE
>> FRR' AND booking.booking_date='2011-11-20' JOIN booking ON
>> bike.bike_id=booking.bike_id;
>>
>> returns a syntax error at JOIN
>>
>> SELECT DISTINCT bike.bike_id FROM bike LEFT JOIN booking ON
>> bike.bike_id = booking.bike_id AND booking.booking_date<>
>> '2011-11-20' WHERE bike.model = 'Kona Dew SE FRR';
>>
>> returns 23 results - two of those results have a booking date of
>> 2011-11-20, so it should return 21 results.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On 7 December 2011 21:22, Ramy Abdel-Azim
>> <ramy.abdel-azim@startdatelabs.com>  wrote:
>>> could you post the query you tried?

Re: Basic Query Question

From
Jude Lucien
Date:
This is it.  There are other instances of bike_id in the booking
database that have different booking dates.

I can find bike_id's that match my specified booking date, but then I
need to run a second query to find the bike_id's that are not booked
on that date.

Is there any way to join the two queries into one?

Thanks for all the help so far.

--
[...]

Date:
Thanks all, I have my one query all figured out.

I was struggling, I appreciate your help!

--
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free"  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What is faster?

From
Ioannis Anagnostopoulos
Date:
Hello all,

This time I am moving to something more advanced than assuming bugs that
they don't exist. I am creating a stored procedure that accepts 2 inputs
and should return many record (by record(s) I mean "set of...."). I have
notice however that there are many ways to achieve this and given my
22million rows I need the faster solution. So what my SP should return?
1. A refcursor?
2. A setof Records with record fields declared as OUT in the parameters?
3. A setof records with the record type explicitly declared in my schema?

Not sure If I have exhausted all the option. Your advice will be much
appreciated. The basic select is happening in a single table.

Kind Regards
Yiannis