Debian upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1?

From
Dagan
Date:
 Hi all,

 I notice that Postgresql 9.1 is available in the backports for Debian
Squeeze. I note that it installed side-by-side with version 9.0, which I
already have running a small database.

 Is there a best-practice for upgrading from one version to another?
Do I need to manually dump the database from 9.0, and import into 9.1?

Cheers,
Dagan

Re: Debian upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1?

From
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Date:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:40:03 +1300
Dagan <mail.list@pro.geek.nz> wrote:

>  Is there a best-practice for upgrading from one version to another?
> Do I need to manually dump the database from 9.0, and import into 9.1?

Debian supplies a special script for that, read the ... docs.

--
May you do Good Magic with Perl.
        -- Larry Wall's blessing

Re: Debian upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1?

From
Henry Drexler

Date:
On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 09:00 -0400, Henry Drexler wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM, Dagan <mail.list@pro.geek.nz> wrote:
>          Hi all,
>
>          I notice that Postgresql 9.1 is available in the backports
>         for Debian
>         Squeeze. I note that it installed side-by-side with version
>         9.0, which I
>         already have running a small database.
>
>          Is there a best-practice for upgrading from one version to
>         another?
>         Do I need to manually dump the database from 9.0, and import
>         into 9.1?
>
>         Cheers,
>         Dagan

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgupgrade.html

 I found Debian provides it's own set of wrapper scripts, in this case
pg_upgradecluster

Date:
On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:06 +0200, Jean-Yves F. Barbier wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:40:03 +1300
> Dagan <mail.list@pro.geek.nz> wrote:

> >  Is there a best-practice for upgrading from one version to another?
> > Do I need to manually dump the database from 9.0, and import into 9.1?
>
> Debian supplies a special script for that, read the ... docs.

 I found mention on Google about Debian's wrapper scripts, the man page
for pg_upgradecluster isn't so helpful explaining what it's doing.

 I ran pg_upgradecluster, it complained the cluster already existed -
the install created a new 9.1 'main' when it installed.

 So the process was to do the following:

1) # pg_dropcluster --stop 9.1 main
2) check any applications accessing postgresql are stopped
3) # pg_upgradecluster -v 9.1 9.0 main

 Then check my applications worked accessing the database, which they
did.

 cheers,
 Dagan