Postgres 9.0.4 / Installation problem - Ubuntu 11.04 - 64bits

From
Daniel Cintra
Date:
Hi,

I am trying to install Postgres 9.0.4 in my Ubuntu 11.04 64bits.
I've downloaded "postgresql-9.0.4-1-linux-x64.bin", and I run it as "gksudo ./postgresql-9.0.4-1-linux-x64.bin".
A graphic Installation goes fine until almost 100%, when it shows a message "Creating service user account". Since this installation message appears in the installation window, it gets like frozen, no progress. (I left the installation process running for much hours, but it did not finished)

While the installation process was with no progress, I checked what "postgres" processes were running, and I got this one:

/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/installer/server/createuser.sh postgres /opt/PostgreSQL/9.0

I tryed to run "createuser.sh" by myself to see why it stopped. When I ran createuser.sh, the script prompted me the password for the user postgres. I do not know if this is the problem, but I believe that the installation did not finished because the installation was waiting for the password.

Does anyone have some idea to solve this problem?

ps: I do not know if this information is useful, but my computer is using LDAP for user authentication.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Postgres 9.0.4 / Installation problem - Ubuntu 11.04 - 64bits

From
damien clochard
Date:
Le 31/08/2011 22:40, Daniel Cintra a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Postgres 9.0.4 in my Ubuntu 11.04 64bits.

The best advice i can give you is to use the ubuntu packaging system.

PostgeSQL 8.4 is available on Ubuntu 11.04 with a simple :

sudo apt-get install postgresql

And if you want the 9.0 version you can install it from the main
backport repository :

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pitti/postgresql
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install postgresql-9.0 libpq-dev

I think 9.1 is also available.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org

Re: Postgres 9.0.4 / Installation problem - Ubuntu 11.04 - 64bits

From
Sachin Srivastava
Date:
Please try to create the account manually and then re-run the installer:

useradd -m -c "PostgreSQL" -d "/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0" -g postgres postgres

[...]

Thanks Damien,

it worked fine!
The service was installed successfully.

I have just one more question: During the installation, it did not asked me a password for postgres user.
Now, I am trying to open psql, but I do not know neither which password I should use, nor how to set a new one.

thanks

Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 31 de Agosto de 2011 18:24
Assunto: Re: [NOVICE] Postgres 9.0.4 / Installation problem - Ubuntu 11.04 - 64bits

Le 31/08/2011 22:40, Daniel Cintra a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Postgres 9.0.4 in my Ubuntu 11.04 64bits.

The best advice i can give you is to use the ubuntu packaging system.

PostgeSQL 8.4 is available on Ubuntu 11.04 with a simple :

sudo apt-get install postgresql

And if you want the 9.0 version you can install it from the main
backport repository :

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pitti/postgresql
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install postgresql-9.0 libpq-dev

I think 9.1 is also available.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org

Enc: Postgres 9.0.4 / Installation problem - Ubuntu 11.04 - 64bits

From
Daniel Cintra
Date:
Problem solved!

I changed pg_hba.conf configuration, opened psql and set postgres password.

Now, everything is working fine.

Thanks Damien and Sachin for the responses!