"Database does not exist"... but it does exist

From
Mike Thomsen
Date:
I'm running into a bizarre issue with "database XYZ does not exist."
I've done a lot of searching, but can't find the cause. For the sake
of reference, this is PG 8.4.6 running on RHEL 5.4.

Here's what I've done so far with md5 authentication enabled:

psql -U postgres -c "create user miket with password 'miket'"
createdb testingdb -U postgres
psql -U postgres -d testingdb -c "create schema testingdb authorization miket"
psql -U postgres -d testingdb -c "grant all privileges on database
testingdb to miket"

The last statement returns the following:

ERROR:    database "testindb" does not exist

When I run:

psql -l -U postgres

testindb most certainly does exist.

Any help on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: "Database does not exist"... but it does exist

From
Vibhor Kumar
Date:
On Jan 21, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Mike Thomsen wrote:

> psql -l -U postgres

Plz share the output of command

Vibhor Kumar
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise Postgres Company
Cell: +91-932-568-2279
vibhor.kumar@enterprisedb.com
Blog:http://vibhork.blogspot.com

Re: "Database does not exist"... but it does exist

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 21 January 2011 17:01, Mike Thomsen <mikerthomsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running into a bizarre issue with "database XYZ does not exist."
> I've done a lot of searching, but can't find the cause. For the sake
> of reference, this is PG 8.4.6 running on RHEL 5.4.
>
> Here's what I've done so far with md5 authentication enabled:
>
> psql -U postgres -c "create user miket with password 'miket'"
> createdb testingdb -U postgres
> psql -U postgres -d testingdb -c "create schema testingdb authorization miket"
> psql -U postgres -d testingdb -c "grant all privileges on database
> testingdb to miket"
>
> The last statement returns the following:
>
> ERROR:    database "testindb" does not exist
>
> When I run:
>
> psql -l -U postgres
>
> testindb most certainly does exist.
>
> Any help on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Are you sure that's not a typo.  Your statement says "testingdb" but
the error says "testindb".

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: "Database does not exist"... but it does exist

From
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Date:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:01:40 -0500, Mike Thomsen <mikerthomsen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> psql -U postgres -c "create user miket with password 'miket'"
> createdb testingdb -U postgres
> psql -U postgres -d testingdb -c "create schema testingdb authorization
> miket" psql -U postgres -d testingdb -c "grant all privileges on database
> testingdb to miket"

I guess that if you used the 1st line you weren't 'postgres' user, so the 2nd
line can't give anything unless issued the way the 1st is.

--
My way of joking is to tell the truth.  That's the funniest joke in the world.
        -- Muhammad Ali

Re: "Database does not exist"... but it does exist

From
Mike Thomsen
Date:
I don't know what had happened to our test machine, but after I
dropped all of the other test databases and reran those commands in
the psql console, the user account can log in fine.

Strange.