pg_dump

From
Jorge Alberto Fuentes Casillas
Date:
   Hello. Excuse me,  i need to do a pg_dump in my pgadmin 8.3 running in mac, i've tried to do this via terminal typing pg_dump --help as in windows, however it doesn't shows anything, could somebody please help me out with this please? To resume, i have problems to run the pg_dump command in a mac. I'd really appreciate any kind of information that you could provide me. Thousands of thanks in advance.

Greetings.

If you need me to give you some info about my DB configuration i will willingly provide it to you. Once again thanks.

Re: pg_dump

Date:
Jorge Alberto Fuentes Casillas <buen_sama@yahoo.com.mx> writes:
>    Hello. Excuse me,  i need to do a pg_dump in my pgadmin 8.3 running in mac,
> i've tried to do this via terminal typing pg_dump --help as in windows, however
> it doesn't shows anything, could somebody please help me out with this please?

pg_dump --help works fine on my Mac.  How did you install Postgres exactly?
What *exactly* do you get when you run "pg_dump --help" in a Terminal
window --- it's hard to believe it prints nothing at all.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump

Date:
Jorge Alberto Fuentes Casillas <buen_sama@yahoo.com.mx> writes:
> Hello, thanks for the support, well, this is what i do:
> jfmac:~ jafc$ /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/scripts/runpsql.sh; exit
> Server [localhost]: localhost
> Database [postgres]: gintratinylocal
> Port [5433]: 5433
> Username [postgres]: gintratinylocal
> Password for user gintratinylocal:
> Welcome to psql 8.3.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit

> gintratinylocal=# pg_dump --help
> gintratinylocal-#

> it prints nothing at all.

pg_dump is a command-line program.  You should call it directly from
the shell prompt in the terminal window, not from inside psql.  Or,
if that "runpsql" script is setting up some environment for psql,
maybe what you want to do is create a similar script to execute pg_dump.

            regards, tom lane