psql in bash scrpts, is possible ?

From
Mariateresa L
Date:
Hello everyone,

I'm building a small newspaper informations aggregator around postgresql
8.3 and Ubuntu 9.10.
Starting from a previous experience on Oracle DB, I've built and tested
a bunch of functions, triggers, SQL scripts etc... that work flawlessly
(almost !) when I submit them by hand in psql; now I want to pack
everything in a nice shell script, with proper error control, automated
file shuffling,  predefined queries in text files and so on, but I
cannot convince psql that the SQL commands (select, insert or copy...)
it has to handle come from a file.
I can submit  ("\i filename" or "psql --file filename") files that
contains commands, eg starting with "\" but psql does not understand the
same sintax if tne file contains a simple "SELECT * FROM tablex".

Am I uber-newbie or is this a known limitation of psql ? And, in this
case, there is something to overcome this limit and afford my non-techie
user to launch a simple command to print her data or to bulk update tables ?

P.S. Initially I discarded the use of procedural languages (C or ...)
for a quick and simpler solution !

Thanks in advance

Fabio, from North Italy

Re: psql in bash scrpts, is possible ?

From
Alan Hodgson
Date:
On Monday 31 May 2010, Mariateresa L <mariateresa.ll@bresciaonline.it>
wrote:
> Am I uber-newbie or is this a known limitation of psql ? And, in this
> case, there is something to overcome this limit and afford my non-techie
> user to launch a simple command to print her data or to bulk update
>  tables ?

psql options < file.sql
echo "sql command;" | psql options

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."