Getting started

From
Donn Washburn
Date:
Hey Group;

I am a novice for sure with postgres.  I do have some experience with
that "M" database.  However, that amounts to upgrading from version 1 to
version 2.  What is the best place to start with postgres.  I do have it
running after debugging openSuSE /etc/init.d/pgsql script.

2608 ? Ss 0:01 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

What is next?  I have a commercial application that requires postgres.'

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "

Re: Getting started

From
Ognjen Blagojevic
Date:
Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey Group;
>
> I am a novice for sure with postgres.  I do have some experience with
> that "M" database.  However, that amounts to upgrading from version 1 to
> version 2.  What is the best place to start with postgres.  I do have it
> running after debugging openSuSE /etc/init.d/pgsql script.
>
> 2608 ? Ss 0:01 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> What is next?  I have a commercial application that requires postgres.'

Start with this one:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/tutorial-start.html

If you need richer client than psql, you might consider pgAdmin III.

If you need to have SQL client on one machine and server on other you
will probably need some basic understanding of configuration files
postgresql.conf, and pg_hba.conf.

Regards,
Ognjen

Re: Getting started

From
Ognjen Blagojevic
Date:
Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey Group;
>
> I am a novice for sure with postgres.  I do have some experience with
> that "M" database.  However, that amounts to upgrading from version 1 to
> version 2.  What is the best place to start with postgres.  I do have it
> running after debugging openSuSE /etc/init.d/pgsql script.
>
> 2608 ? Ss 0:01 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> What is next?  I have a commercial application that requires postgres.'

Start with this one:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/tutorial-start.html

If you need richer client than psql, you might consider pgAdmin III.

If you need to have SQL client on one machine and server on other you
will probably need some basic understanding of configuration files
postgresql.conf, and pg_hba.conf.

Regards,
Ognjen

Re: Getting started

From
Donn Washburn
Date:
Thanks Ognjen;

I will give it a try.  I started with FilePro/Profile may years back and
I sure wish there was a front end for Linux DBs

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb@comcast.net "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256