UTC timestamp

From
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Date:
Hi list,

For legal timestamping I'd like to record a timestamp in UTC,
but I can't find a way to do that, is it possible?

JY
--
If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

Re: UTC timestamp

From
Jasen Betts
Date:
On 2009-12-14, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> For legal timestamping I'd like to record a timestamp in UTC,
> but I can't find a way to do that, is it possible?

timestamp with timezone (AKA timestamptz) is recorded in UTC

display format depends on client settings.

Re: UTC timestamp

From
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Date:
Jasen Betts a écrit :
> On 2009-12-14, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> For legal timestamping I'd like to record a timestamp in UTC,
>> but I can't find a way to do that, is it possible?
>
> timestamp with timezone (AKA timestamptz) is recorded in UTC

Ok

> display format depends on client settings.

Ah, I see now why my display wasn't correct: I thought it was the
server, but it was the client missinterpreting.

Thanks!

--
When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.

Re: UTC timestamp

From
Jasen Betts
Date:
On 2009-12-16, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jasen Betts a écrit :
>> On 2009-12-14, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> For legal timestamping I'd like to record a timestamp in UTC,
>>> but I can't find a way to do that, is it possible?
>>
>> timestamp with timezone (AKA timestamptz) is recorded in UTC
>
> Ok
>
>> display format depends on client settings.
>
> Ah, I see now why my display wasn't correct: I thought it was the
> server, but it was the client missinterpreting.
>
> Thanks!

you can alter the text form the sever gives
on a per-connection basis with

 set time zone 'UTC';

or more permanently with

 alter role "yourself" set time zone 'UTC';

Re: UTC timestamp

From
"Jean-Yves F. Barbier"
Date:
Jasen Betts a écrit :
> you can alter the text form the sever gives
> on a per-connection basis with
>
>  set time zone 'UTC';
>
> or more permanently with
>
>  alter role "yourself" set time zone 'UTC';

This is it, thanks