HELP! Data needed out of pgsql!

From
Lester
Date:
Hi, my dental office used software that used pgsql as the database,
Mac Dent Pro.  The company went out of business as far as I can tell
and I need to get the data out or at least be able to see  it.  What
can I do?

Thanks,

Lester

lesterewing@mac.com

Re: HELP! Data needed out of pgsql!

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Aug 19, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Lester wrote:

> Hi, my dental office used software that used pgsql as the database,
> Mac Dent Pro.  The company went out of business as far as I can tell
> and I need to get the data out or at least be able to see  it.  What
> can I do?

pgAdmin is a free client application which can be used to view and
export the data.

http://www.pgadmin.org/download/macosx.php

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: HELP! Data needed out of pgsql!

From
John DeSoi
Date:
Lester,

The docs to pg_dump are here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/app-pgdump.html

The above documentation has lots of examples at the end. You probably
want something like:

pg_dump -U db_user_name db_name > ~/Desktop/db_name.sql

P.S. You need to use "reply all" so your response goes back to the list.

On Aug 20, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Lester wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have the password and I was able to use the pgadmin.conf to open
> that file but I don't know how to use pgdump to open the database.
> I'm a newb as it concerns working with terminal.  This is for a Mac
> BTW.
>

> Thanks for your help so far!
>
> Lester

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Date:
On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Lester wrote:

> Just to provide more info, this is what I'm getting when I start up
> the software..
>
> "Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP
> CONNECTIONS ON PORT 7147?
>
> Connection data: host=localhost  port=7147 user=mdp  password='mdp'
> dbname=mdp

Most likely either Postgres is not running or it is not using port
7147. You can check to see if Postgres is running by starting up
Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities) and looking for the name
"postgres" in the process name column.

If it is not running, you can start it in Terminal assuming you know
the location of the data. See

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/server-start.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: HELP! Data needed out of pgsql!

From
Lester
Date:
Thanks!

Just to provide more info, this is what I'm getting when I start up the software..

"Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP CONNECTIONS ON PORT 7147?

Connection data: host=localhost  port=7147 user=mdp  password='mdp' dbname=mdp

Thanks all!

Lester