RPM for CentOS

From
"Just E. Mail"
Hello:

My first posting!

I am trying to install PostgreSQL on a CentOS 5.2 server. PostgreSQL 8.0
comes packaged with CentOS. The latest version of PostgreSQL is 8.3.7.
Since I am a novice, my preference is to install PostgreSQL which comes
packaged with CentOS 5.2, although it is the older version of PostgreSQL.

My question is, "Is there a major difference between PostgreSQL version
8.0 & 8.3?".  If I install PostgreSQL 8.0,am I going to be missing
something?

Sam

Re: RPM for CentOS

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:

See http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/

> My question is, "Is there a major difference between PostgreSQL version
> 8.0 & 8.3?".  If I install PostgreSQL 8.0,am I going to be missing
> something?

Sure, a lot. There are many, many improvements between 8.0 and 8.3.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: RPM for CentOS

From
John Gardner
Date:
A. Kretschmer wrote:

>> I am trying to install PostgreSQL on a CentOS 5.2 server. PostgreSQL 8.0
>> comes packaged with CentOS. The latest version of PostgreSQL is 8.3.7.
>> Since I am a novice, my preference is to install PostgreSQL which comes
>> packaged with CentOS 5.2, although it is the older version of PostgreSQL.

You can also try:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

Re: RPM for CentOS

Date:
"Just E. Mail" <justemail@imwell-usa.com> writes:
> I am trying to install PostgreSQL on a CentOS 5.2 server. PostgreSQL 8.0
> comes packaged with CentOS. The latest version of PostgreSQL is 8.3.7.
> Since I am a novice, my preference is to install PostgreSQL which comes
> packaged with CentOS 5.2, although it is the older version of PostgreSQL.

> My question is, "Is there a major difference between PostgreSQL version
> 8.0 & 8.3?".  If I install PostgreSQL 8.0,am I going to be missing
> something?

Not only is 8.3 a lot better, but I'm finding myself pretty suspicious
of the copy of CentOS you've got, too.  RHEL-5 shipped with Postgres
8.1, and there is no reason to be installing anything older in a Red Hat
derived distro.

(I'd recommend 8.3 over 8.1, too, just to be clear.)

            regards, tom lane