alter table question for 7.2

From
Matthias Leopold
Date:
hi,

can anyone tell me the right way to do something like

alter table foo add column bar int not null default '0';

in a postgresql 7.2 database?

all i managed to do was to add the column and alter it to have "default
'0'".
neither where the fields filled with "0" (like they are when i do this
in postgresql 8.1) nor did i manage to add the "not null" constraint.

thx for help
matthias

Re: alter table question for 7.2

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Matthias Leopold <matthias@aic.at> wrote:

> hi,
>
> can anyone tell me the right way to do something like
>
> alter table foo add column bar int not null default '0';
>
> in a postgresql 7.2 database?

Update now!

IIRC, first add the column and then use ALTER TABLE SET DEFAULT.
Try that, i'm not sure, 7.2 is too old.

Andreas

Re: alter table question for 7.2

Date:
Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net> writes:
> Matthias Leopold <matthias@aic.at> wrote:
>> ... in a postgresql 7.2 database?

> Update now!

Seriously, you should *not* be using 7.2.  It's been unsupported for
more than four years.  There are numerous known data-eating bugs in it,
not to mention security holes.

            regards, tom lane