db encoding

From
"Oliveiros Cristina"
Date:
Howdy.

Once a database is created , is there any easy way to change its encoding?

I have several created with SQL_ASCII encoding, which I now realize is an encoding not very recommendable.

Nothing is said here about that.

Is it possible?

Best,
Oliveiros

Re: db encoding

Date:
"Oliveiros Cristina" <oliveiros.cristina@marktest.pt> writes:
> Once a database is created , is there any easy way to change its encoding?

Nope --- you have to dump and reload into a new database created with
the correct encoding setting.

> I have several created with SQL_ASCII encoding, which I now realize is
> an encoding not very recommendable.

The problem with SQL_ASCII is that you don't really know what encoding
you've got, so even "dump and reload" may not be enough --- you may have
to fix any encoding problems that are in the data now.  I'd suggest
pg_dump into plain text format so you can massage the data easily.

            regards, tom lane