What algorithm does the random() function use?

From
Thomas Harold
Date:
So how good is the random() function in pgsql?  How many iterations
through the PRNG before the PRNG loops?

Does it depend on the underlying O/S?  Which, in our case, is CentOS 5,
64bit.

(I ask, because back in my Visual Basic days, I ran into an issue where
the built-in PRNG would loop after 30 bits worth had been used.  Which
caused issues in a situation where we really need a whole lot more
length in our PRNG.)

Re: What algorithm does the random() function use?

Date:
Thomas Harold <thomas-news@nybeta.com> writes:
> So how good is the random() function in pgsql?

It's whatever the underlying C library supplies.

            regards, tom lane