Installing postgres on Vista, can't connect remotely

From
Bastiaan Olij
Date:
Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping someone ran into this before and knows a quick answer. I just
got a new vista machine in to work on, first time I tried installing
Postgresql on Vista. Downloaded the latest installer of the postgres
site and installed it.

Installation itself went just fine, no strange things, the usual Vista
access control crap, and voila, postgres was running. I can start
PGadmin just fine, logon to my server, created a database.
The world is as shiny as the weather is today in Sydney :)

Changed the hba and config file to allow remote connections and decided
to connect to my new server via my Macbook. The sun is still shining but
no connection... It just took awhile and times out. So I though
firewall! Went into the firewall settings of Vista, told it to accept
connections on port 5432. No change.. Turned the whole firewall off, ah
change, now my PGadmin on my Macbook tells me right away my server isn't
allowing a connection (the standard connection refused message).

I'm pulling my hair out here, my Vista machine can connect to my macbook
machine just fine (its also running a postgres server), I can connect to
any of our other postgres servers running on windows boxes (XP and 2003)
from my macbook just fine. But I must be overlooking something obvious
on this new Vista box..

--
Kindest Regards,

Bastiaan Olij
e-mail/MSN: bastiaan@basenlily.nl
web: http://www.basenlily.nl
Skype: Mux213
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bastiaanolij

Re: Installing postgres on Vista, can't connect remotely

From
"Joshua Tolley"
Date:
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Bastiaan Olij <lists@basenlily.nl> wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I'm hoping someone ran into this before and knows a quick answer. I just
> got a new vista machine in to work on, first time I tried installing
> Postgresql on Vista. Downloaded the latest installer of the postgres
> site and installed it.
>
> Installation itself went just fine, no strange things, the usual Vista
> access control crap, and voila, postgres was running. I can start
> PGadmin just fine, logon to my server, created a database.
> The world is as shiny as the weather is today in Sydney :)
>
> Changed the hba and config file to allow remote connections and decided
> to connect to my new server via my Macbook. The sun is still shining but
> no connection... It just took awhile and times out. So I though
> firewall! Went into the firewall settings of Vista, told it to accept
> connections on port 5432. No change.. Turned the whole firewall off, ah
> change, now my PGadmin on my Macbook tells me right away my server isn't
> allowing a connection (the standard connection refused message).
>
> I'm pulling my hair out here, my Vista machine can connect to my macbook
> machine just fine (its also running a postgres server), I can connect to
> any of our other postgres servers running on windows boxes (XP and 2003)
> from my macbook just fine. But I must be overlooking something obvious
> on this new Vista box..
>
> --
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Bastiaan Olij
> e-mail/MSN: bastiaan@basenlily.nl
> web: http://www.basenlily.nl
> Skype: Mux213
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/bastiaanolij

Well, you sound like you know what you're doing, but let's cover
basics. What is listen_address set to in postgresql.conf? Port? Have
you restarted postgresql since you made the changes you discussed?
Does netstat tell you something's listening on that port? Does
postgresql log anything now that you get a quick rejection instead of
a long timeout? Hope this helps some...

- Josh / eggyknap

Re: Installing postgres on Vista, can't connect remotely

From
Bastiaan Olij
Date:
Hi Josh,

*edit* sorry if anyone receives this double, something went wrong sending it.

That sorta pointed me in the right direction. Netstat reveils that my
copy of Postgresql is indeed only listening on 127.0.0.1:5432.
I changed my listen_address to the IP of my PC and restarted postgresql
but its still only listening on 127.0.0.1.

So I decided to change some other settings and see what happened. I
changed the port to 5431 and changed the log file to another name.
Neither of these changes where applied after restarting Postgres.

And then I went like FRAG!

I was changing the configuration files using PGadmin. Postgres is
installed in program files. Due to the lovely new nature of vista, any
files you change in either program files or in the windows directory,
while not running as admin (even if you are a friggen administrator) get
copied into your hidden "AppData\Local\VirtualStore\" subfolder in your
users data folder.
So I ended up editing the config files in this folder, while Postgres
was still reading the original (or maybe worse yet, reading a copy in
the postgres users's data folder, but I don't think thats the case, I
can't check it but since the log files are being created in program
files I'm assuming Vista is not that dumb).

I removed the files in the virtual store and started PGadmin by
rightclicking on it and selecting 'Run as administrator". This ensure
PGadmin did not do its little magician trick. Changed both files properly.

I then created dummy files in the virtual store so if I try and edit
them by starting pgadmin directly, I'd know right away because they show
up empty.

So to all Vista users out there, be very careful of this behaviour in
Vista!!

> > Well, you sound like you know what you're doing, but let's cover
> > basics. What is listen_address set to in postgresql.conf? Port? Have
> > you restarted postgresql since you made the changes you discussed?
> > Does netstat tell you something's listening on that port? Does
> > postgresql log anything now that you get a quick rejection instead of
> > a long timeout? Hope this helps some...
> >
> > - Josh / eggyknap

Greetz,