PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse

From
"Jasmin Dizdarevic"
Date:
Hi,

i'm actually evaluating different dbms for data warehouse tasks.
has anybody expirience with it?

i have to store 50 mio. records p.m. in a fact table.
something like this:

date; cust; group; product; value

...with unique index on date,cust,group,product.

will there be any problem's in response time in let's say 12 months?

thank you very much.

Re: PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse

From
"Sean Davis"
Date:
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm actually evaluating different dbms for data warehouse tasks.
> has anybody expirience with it?
>
> i have to store 50 mio. records p.m. in a fact table.
> something like this:
>
> date; cust; group; product; value
>
> ...with unique index on date,cust,group,product.
>
> will there be any problem's in response time in let's say 12 months?

It totally depends on hardware, the queries you will be running, under
what load, and what you mean by "response time".  If I were you, I
would simply simulate your 600 m rows and then run the queries that
you want to see how the system performs.

Sean

Re: PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse

From
Michelle Konzack
Date:
Am 2008-10-03 00:28:40, schrieb Jasmin Dizdarevic:
> Hi,
>
> i'm actually evaluating different dbms for data warehouse tasks.
> has anybody expirience with it?
>
> i have to store 50 mio. records p.m. in a fact table.
> something like this:
>
> date; cust; group; product; value

I have not a warehouse but a WAR database where I had for 100 years  one
table...  The table from the last century had let me re-thinking...

2.5 mio rows with arround 240 columns and 43 languages had killed all.

It was a SINGEL table of arround 800 MByte.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse

From
Mark Roberts
Date:
Hmm,

I'm seeing about 20M facts/day input into the system I work on (and
we've been going for a few years now) and our average response time is
pretty snappy (<15s for the most common use cases).

IIRC, the online part of the database is ~2.5-3TB right now.

-Mark

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 00:28 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm actually evaluating different dbms for data warehouse tasks.
> has anybody expirience with it?
>
> i have to store 50 mio. records p.m. in a fact table.
> something like this:
>
> date; cust; group; product; value
>
> ...with unique index on date,cust,group,product.
>
> will there be any problem's in response time in let's say 12 months?
>
> thank you very much.

Re: PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse

From
"Jasmin Dizdarevic"
Date:
Hi Mark,

thank you for your information. That sound's great!
May I know your hardware configuration on which this database is running?

Jasmin

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dizdarevic Jasmin
Sonnenbergstr. 3
6714 Nüziders, AUT

jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com
+43 664 411 79 29

Re: PostgreSQL for Data Warehouse

From
Mark Roberts
Date:
Hmmm, I'm just a developer and not in charge of hardware or pg
configuration and don't know any specifics, but:
- 4 Cores
- Generous helping of RAM
- Tons of disk space because of lots of "low" performance disks
- ~600MB/s Seq I/O, ~150MB/s random

-Mark