little bug in 8.3?

From
"Kasia Tuszynska"

Hello,
We just upgraded from 8.2.4 to 8.3, on red hat 4ea/as.
I did not keep a back up of PGDATA so I can not say for sure, but it
seems that in the 8.2.4 release of postgres, pg_hba.conf had these
contents:
#listen_addresses='localhost' and if non localhost connections were
needed than the parameter had to be altered to:
Listen_addresses='*'

In the 8.3 release of postgres, pg_hba.conf has this contents

"The commented-out settings shown in this file represent the default
values.
# - Connection Settings -

#listen_addresses = '*'          # what IP address(es) to listen on;
                                        # comma-separated list of
addresses;
                                        # defaults to 'localhost', '*' =
all
                                        # (change requires restart)
#port = 5432                            # (change requires restart)
..."
Based on the quoted line above and general behavior of other parameters
in the hba, one would assume that "#listen_addresses='*'" would by
default allow non local host connections, but it does not. The line has
to be uncommented out in order for non localhost machines to be "heard",
I know it also says "defaults to localhost" so which is it?
Defaults to localhost or commented-out settings represent the default?
Is that a little bug or did my mind go blank about how it was in 8.2.4?
Thank you,
Kasia

Re: little bug in 8.3?

Date:
"Kasia Tuszynska" <ktuszynska@esri.com> writes:
> In the 8.3 release of postgres, pg_hba.conf has this contents
>
> # - Connection Settings -
>
> #listen_addresses = '*'          # what IP address(es) to listen on;
>                                         # comma-separated list of
> addresses;

That's not what's in the source code:

# - Connection Settings -

#listen_addresses = 'localhost'        # what IP address(es) to listen on;
                    # comma-separated list of addresses;
                    # defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
                    # (change requires restart)
#port = 5432                # (change requires restart)

Not sure what happened to your copy...

            regards, tom lane

Re: little bug in 8.3?

From
"Kasia Tuszynska"
Date:
Thank you Tom,
Perhaps too many people trying to fix a problem at the same time...
Sincerely,
Kasia