Problem integrating C stub

From
Smita Vijayakumar
Date:
Hi,
While integrating C stub in stored procedure, I came across the
following problem whenever the DB triggered the SP:
"
before or while processing the request.
"

My C code looks like this:
"
PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(abc);
Datum abc(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    VarChar *arg1 ;
    char *str;
    arg1=(VarChar *) PG_GETARG_VARCHAR_P(0);
    int str1Size = VARSIZE(arg1) - VARHDRSZ;
    if (arg1) str = (char *) VARDATA(arg1);
    short int ret ;

    str[str1Size]='\0';
    ret =anotherfunc(str); // anotherfunc() returns smallint

    PG_RETURN_INT16(ret);
}
"

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I notice whenever I comment out
the code for extraction of the arguments,
"
        arg1=(VarChar *) PG_GETARG_VARCHAR_P(0);
        int str1Size = VARSIZE(arg1) - VARHDRSZ;
        if (arg1) str = (char *) VARDATA(arg1);
"
the DB ceases to throw the error.

The function has been declared as
"
CREATE FUNCTION abc(varchar) RETURNS smallint AS '/path/abc.so', 'abc'
LANGUAGE C STRICT;
"

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Smita

Re: Problem integrating C stub

Date:
Smita Vijayakumar <smita.vijayakumar@globallogic.com> writes:
> While integrating C stub in stored procedure, I came across the
> following problem whenever the DB triggered the SP:
> "
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.

> My C code looks like this:

>     str[str1Size]='\0';

Scribbling on pass-by-reference arguments is verboten.  Scribbling past
the end of one is even worse.

            regards, tom lane