Protecting a web app from Postgresql injection

From
Mary Anderson
Date:
Hi all,
    I have a web app I would like to protect against postgreSQL
injection.  What characters should I be on the lookout for?  Any Any
suggestions for enhancing the security of my app are welcome.

Mary Anderson

Re: Protecting a web app from Postgresql injection

From
Josh
Date:
Mary,

Are you using parameter substitution in your queries?  That is the best
way to protect against these kinds of attacks.

What language are you using?  We can provide examples of this if you'd
like.

Cheers,
-Josh

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Mary Anderson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:48:59 -0800
> From: Mary Anderson <maryfran@demog.berkeley.edu>
> To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
> Subject: [NOVICE] Protecting a web app from Postgresql injection
>
> Hi all,
>   I have a web app I would like to protect against postgreSQL injection.
> What characters should I be on the lookout for?  Any Any suggestions for
> enhancing the security of my app are welcome.
>
> Mary Anderson

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Protecting a web app from Postgresql injection

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Wed, dem 30.01.2008, um 13:48:59 -0800 mailte Mary Anderson folgendes:
> Hi all,
>    I have a web app I would like to protect against postgreSQL
> injection.  What characters should I be on the lookout for?  Any Any
> suggestions for enhancing the security of my app are welcome.

The best way to protect against SQL-Injection are prepared statements,
read more about this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-prepare.html

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Protecting a web app from Postgresql injection

From
Michael Lush
Date:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Mary Anderson wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I have a web app I would like to protect against postgreSQL injection.
> What characters should I be on the lookout for?  Any Any suggestions for
> enhancing the security of my app are welcome.

Not actually helpful but...

http://xkcd.com/327/

--
Michael
Michael John Lush PhD            Tel:44-1223 492626

Re: Protecting a web app from Postgresql injection

From
Andres Ledesma
Date:
Hi,

It my be interesting to read this : http://lwn.net/Articles/185813/

And, IMHO:
In a web app you can take advantage of the posibility of having several layers, the n-layers model, to validate and filter, even change at your need the users input when security of your apps is at risk.  In that sense avoiding undesired chars in the db tables start at the web pages in form of jsvascript validation, goes on on the middleware, and can be done last time in functions that inserts content in tables.

Personally I do prefer to use  functions ( stored procs ) for inserts and updates of table contents, never use SQL code neither in web pages, neither in middleware objects, always  there is a function that insert or modify the tables content. This allows me to have the db structure deep at the bottom layer of the app, and only people dealing with db knows the real structure of the tables, or db.

Hope this simple hints helps.

Andy