database row count

From
Isaac Vetter
Date:
Dear Pg experts;

I'd like to get a (rough) count of the numbers of rows across all tables
in a given database.

I understand that I could write a script to run count(*) on each table
and then sum the counts. Is there an easier way, has someone already
written this script?

Much Thanks,

Isaac Vetter

Attachment

Re: database row count

From
Carol Cheung
Date:
On 30/01/2008 15:10, Isaac Vetter wrote the following:
> Dear Pg experts;
>
> I'd like to get a (rough) count of the numbers of rows across all tables
> in a given database.
>
> I understand that I could write a script to run count(*) on each table
> and then sum the counts. Is there an easier way, has someone already
> written this script?
>
> Much Thanks,
>
> Isaac Vetter

How about

SELECT relname, reltuples FROM pg_class WHERE relname IN (...);

Re: database row count

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Jan 30, 2008 4:14 PM, Carol Cheung <cacheung@consumercontact.com> wrote:
> How about
>
> SELECT relname, reltuples FROM pg_class WHERE relname IN (...);

It should be noted that this will only work if the tables have been
analyzed recently.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: database row count

From
Isaac Vetter
Date:
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 4:14 PM, Carol Cheung <cacheung@consumercontact.com> wrote:
>> How about
>>
>> SELECT relname, reltuples FROM pg_class WHERE relname IN (...);
>
> It should be noted that this will only work if the tables have been
> analyzed recently.

Carol, Jonah;

Much thanks for your answers;

Isaac