Trouble compiling tsearch2

From
"David Wessell"
Date:
Hi,

I have managed to install postgres (Yea me!).. But I need to install tsearch2.. I'm trying to complie it, but I get this error (using gmake)

Makefile:31: ../../src/Makefile.global: No such file or directory
Makefile:32: /contrib/contrib-global.mk: No such file or directory
gmake: *** No rule to make target `/contrib/contrib-global.mk'.  Stop.

In the .src file, there is a Makefile.global.in file.. Should I remove the .in? Or do I need to modify the Makefile in the tsearch2 dir (I tried this, but it threw similar errors about another file)...

Thanks
David

Re: Trouble compiling tsearch2

From
"David Wessell"
Date:
Hi Charley,

Thanks for the advice.. I did as you suggested.. I ran ./configure (I had to
install readline first) then ran make..

But I still get the same error message in the tsearch2 directory..

Thanks
David

Download the source.  Configure and make postgres as you normally do but do
not run "make install".

Move to the appropriate contrib directory.  Now run "make" and "make
install".

Charley

David Wessell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have managed to install postgres (Yea me!).. But I need to install
> tsearch2.. I'm trying to complie it, but I get this error (using
> gmake)
>
> Makefile:31: ../../src/Makefile.global: No such file or directory
> Makefile:32: /contrib/contrib-global.mk: No such file or directory
> gmake: *** No rule to make target `/contrib/contrib-global.mk'.  Stop.
>

> In the .src file, there is a Makefile.global.in file.. Should I remove
> the .in? Or do I need to modify the Makefile in the tsearch2 dir (I
> tried this, but it threw similar errors about another file)...
>
> Thanks
> David

Re: Trouble compiling tsearch2

From
"David Wessell"
Addendum:

The makefile.global file is in the src directory, but the error message is
still given..

Thanks
David

Date:
"David Wessell" <dave@wessell.net> writes:
> I have managed to install postgres (Yea me!).. But I need to install
> tsearch2.. I'm trying to complie it, but I get this error (using gmake)

> Makefile:31: ../../src/Makefile.global: No such file or directory
> Makefile:32: /contrib/contrib-global.mk: No such file or directory
> gmake: *** No rule to make target `/contrib/contrib-global.mk'.  Stop.

This was just asked a couple days ago...
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-07/msg00482.php

            regards, tom lane

Re: Trouble compiling tsearch2

From
"David Wessell"
Date:
Thanks Tom..

I'm using a VDS, and WHM and cpanel.. And installed postgres using the steps
below..

1. Login to your VDS via ssh and su to root.
2. Type 'mv /var/lib/pgsql /var/lib/pgsql.old'
3. Run '/scripts/installpostgres'
4. Login to Web Host Manager (WHM) and choose "Postgres Config" under Server
Configuration.
5. Enter a Postgresql Password and select the "Change Password" button. *You
should avoid using any non-alpha numeric charaters as these cause problems.
6. Within WHM choose "Postgres Config" again under Server Configuration.
7. Select the "Install Config" to install a postgres pg_hba.conf file.
8. Login to cPanel and test installing a Postgresql database and user.

Then later realized that I needed the tsearch contrib installed.. Should I
remove everything and start from scratch? I'm pretty new to linux
administration for the most part...

Thanks
David