open db version 8.1 with postgresql version 8.2

From
"Pedro A. Galvan"
Date:
Hi all

Could not find any reference to this kind of problem in the archives... (or
maybe I was not good at searching it... My apologies if so). Trying to update
from ubuntu 6.10 to 7.04, something went wrong  and botched up my posgresql
8.1 server (would not start), among many other things.
So I spent a month trying to figure it out, finally gave up. I did a fresh
install of Feisty Fawn, which includes postgresql 8.2. Now before that I was
able to back up the whole main directory for 8.1, but I was not able to do a
pg_dumpall. Now I have a working 8.2 installation and all my data backed up
in a 8.1 main directory.
How can I load this into 8.2?

Thanks in advance for your kind help...

*      Death to all fanatics!!!!!!!!         *
* This email is certified 100% anthrax-free. *
*              ppyo@yahoo.com                *

Re: open db version 8.1 with postgresql version 8.2

Date:
"Pedro A. Galvan" <pedro.a.galvan@gmail.com> writes:
> Now I have a working 8.2 installation and all my data backed up
> in a 8.1 main directory.
> How can I load this into 8.2?

The standard answer is "install 8.1 for long enough to run pg_dumpall".

You could try pg_migrator:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pg-migrator/
but note that even its developers only claim it's beta-quality code.
You have got a backup, right?

            regards, tom lane

Re: open db version 8.1 with postgresql version 8.2

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 22:47 -0400, Pedro A. Galvan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Could not find any reference to this kind of problem in the archives... (or
> maybe I was not good at searching it... My apologies if so). Trying to update
> from ubuntu 6.10 to 7.04, something went wrong  and botched up my posgresql
> 8.1 server (would not start), among many other things.
> So I spent a month trying to figure it out, finally gave up. I did a fresh
> install of Feisty Fawn, which includes postgresql 8.2. Now before that I was
> able to back up the whole main directory for 8.1, but I was not able to do a
> pg_dumpall. Now I have a working 8.2 installation and all my data backed up
> in a 8.1 main directory.
> How can I load this into 8.2?
>
> Thanks in advance for your kind help...

Try installing 8.1 now:

sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.1

Ubuntu (being based on Debian) should allow you to run both versions at
once.  Once it is installed, make sure your old database is configured
as 8.1.  pg_lsclusters should show it; if not you will have to get it
configured right.  Then you should be able to pg_dump it, or even
upgrade it with pg_upgradecluster.

   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html