Which installer for Postgres on Windows?

From
Bo Berglund
Date:
I downloaded the Windows install zipfile for PG 8.1.5 and unzipped it.
Now I am mystified as to which MSI file to install from...
There are two files in the zip:
postgresql-8.1-int.msi 22Mb
postgresql-8.1.msi  138kb

Should I use the lareger or smaller file? It does not say in the
readme file.

Bo Berglund

Re: Which installer for Postgres on Windows?

From
"Thomas H."
Date:
>I downloaded the Windows install zipfile for PG 8.1.5 and unzipped it.
> Now I am mystified as to which MSI file to install from...
> There are two files in the zip:
> postgresql-8.1-int.msi 22Mb
> postgresql-8.1.msi  138kb
>
> Should I use the lareger or smaller file? It does not say in the
> readme file.

try & fail will help here - only one of the two can be used for
installation.

regards,
thomas

ps: its the smaller one ;-)

Date:
> I downloaded the Windows install zipfile for PG
> 8.1.5 and unzipped it.
> Now I am mystified as to which MSI file to install
> from...
> There are two files in the zip:
> postgresql-8.1-int.msi 22Mb
> postgresql-8.1.msi  138kb
>
> Should I use the lareger or smaller file? It does
> not say in the
> readme file.
>
> Bo Berglund

Bo, i'm not sure if this is needed, but it can't hurt.
 you'll find detailed windows install instructions
here:

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

good luck.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

Re: Which installer for Postgres on Windows?

From
Bo Berglund
Date:
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:00:36 -0800 (PST),
<operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I downloaded the Windows install zipfile for PG
>> 8.1.5 and unzipped it.
>> Now I am mystified as to which MSI file to install
>> from...
>> There are two files in the zip:
>> postgresql-8.1-int.msi 22Mb
>> postgresql-8.1.msi  138kb
>>
>> Should I use the lareger or smaller file? It does
>> not say in the
>> readme file.
>>
>> Bo Berglund
>
>Bo, i'm not sure if this is needed, but it can't hurt.
> you'll find detailed windows install instructions
>here:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

Thanks,
just downloaded doc. I am now at the experimentation phase using
pgAdmin III.
So far working. :-)

Date:
> Thanks,
> just downloaded doc. I am now at the experimentation
> phase using
> pgAdmin III.
> So far working. :-)
>

> Bo Berglund

Bo, you are quite welcome.  when i first started with
postgresql a few years ago, i installed 8.0 but had
absolutely no idea how to use it or interact with it.

i found a tutorial to install 7.4 on windows via
cygwin and went with that.

30 days later i had it up and running.  i must've
installed and uninstalled cygwin 20-25 times during
that time.  that experience and trying to hack out a
cross browser css file are the two worst tech
experiences i've had to date.  at least the pgsql
experience ended nicely.  ;-)  i never did get the css
working, so i found a forum where i guy did and didn't
mind sharing.

good luck - pgsql is cool stuff and this list has some
friendly and knowledgable people who are always helpful.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

Re: Which installer for Postgres on Windows?

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Nov 26, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> I downloaded the Windows install zipfile for PG 8.1.5 and unzipped it.
> Now I am mystified as to which MSI file to install from...
> There are two files in the zip:
> postgresql-8.1-int.msi 22Mb
> postgresql-8.1.msi  138kb
>
> Should I use the lareger or smaller file? It does not say in the
> readme file.

-int == -internal.

It probably would be good to come up with a better name than that...