-- Problem loading plperlu --

From
Rafael Orta
Date:
Hello Everybody

I am planning to use db-link to be able to read Oracle
tables from Postgres, however the first step of the installation
manual points to :

Load PL/Perlu into your database

I understand the way to do so is connected as Postgres execute:

createlang plperlu <database_name>

But when I try to do so I get.

-bash-3.00$ createlang plperlu smarter
createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/plperl": No such file or directory

I use postgres 8.1.4 and perl 5.8.5

and my libdir directory poinsts to

-bash-3.00$ echo $libdir
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE

Where the libperl.so library is located.

Any clues will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rafael Orta

Rafael Orta Phone: (609)-330-3193
Sr. Oracle DBA Fax: (856)-642-7679
Technical Manager
Oraprofessionals Email: rorta_us@yahoo.com

Re: -- Problem loading plperlu --

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
> I am planning to use db-link to be able to read Oracle

Just to clarify I think you need dbi-link.  I believe that db-link only allows to you connect to
other postgresql databases.

> -bash-3.00$ createlang plperlu smarter
> createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/plperl": No
> such file or directory

I found the following from :
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/plperl.html

Note: Users of source packages must specially enable the build of PL/Perl during the installation
process. (Refer to Section 14.1 for more information.) Users of binary packages might find PL/Perl
in a separate subpackage.

and "section 14.1"
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/installation.html#INSTALL-SHORT

I hope this helps.  I am sure someone else on the list with more experience will be able to get
more specific information if you need it.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: -- Problem loading plperlu --

From
Sean Davis
Date:
On Sunday 15 October 2006 23:19, Rafael Orta wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> I am planning to use db-link to be able to read Oracle
> tables from Postgres, however the first step of the installation
> manual points to :
>
> Load PL/Perlu into your database
>
> I understand the way to do so is connected as Postgres execute:
>
> createlang plperlu <database_name>
>
> But when I try to do so I get.
>
> -bash-3.00$ createlang plperlu smarter
> createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not access file
> "$libdir/plperl": No such file or directory

It looks like plperl was not installed.  Since you are on linux, you will
probably need to rebuild postgres with perl support.  If I recall, that means
doing:

./configure --with-perl

You might also see this in the list archive:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2005-04/msg00278.php

Sean