pg_config not found

From
Saranya Sivakumar
Date:
Hi All,

I am trying to install psqlodbc version psqlodbc-08.01.0200 on a non DB server ( Fedora Core 5). I get the following error, while trying to run the configure script.

checking for pg_config... no
configure: error: pg_config not found

I found that a bug has been registered at this link with the same type of problem for installing on windows. http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-03/msg00220.php

I tried searching on how to install pg_config alone, but haven't had any luck yet. I am stuck at this point and not sure how to proceed.

Though this server doesn't require a DB installation, would installing the DB get around the problem? Is there any other solution to this?

Any information would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
Saranya

Re: pg_config not found

Date:
Saranya Sivakumar <sarlavk@yahoo.com> writes:
> I am trying to install psqlodbc version psqlodbc-08.01.0200 on a non DB server ( Fedora Core 5). I get the following
error,while trying to run the configure script.

> checking for pg_config... no
> configure: error: pg_config not found

pg_config is in the postgresql-devel RPM ... you need to install that.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_config not found

From
Saranya Sivakumar
Date:
Hi,

I tried to install the devel rpm from

but got the following error

error: Failed dependencies:
        postgresql = 8.1.3 is needed by postgresql-devel-8.1.3-1PGDG.i686
Do I need to get all the rpms and install them at one go?

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Saranya

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Saranya Sivakumar writes:
> I am trying to install psqlodbc version psqlodbc-08.01.0200 on a non DB server ( Fedora Core 5). I get the following error, while trying to run the configure script.

> checking for pg_config... no
> configure: error: pg_config not found

pg_config is in the postgresql-devel RPM ... you need to install that.

regards, tom lane

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: pg_config not found

Date:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?file=binary%2Fv8.1.3%2Flinux%2Frpms%2Ffedora%2Ffedora-core-5%2Fpostgresql-devel-8.1.3-1PGDG.i686.rpm,

>   but got the following error
>   error: Failed dependencies:
>         postgresql = 8.1.3 is needed by postgresql-devel-8.1.3-1PGDG.i686

Well, where did you get your other Postgres RPMs from?  You need a
matching set (all the same version).  My guess is that you are using
the Fedora RPMs, in which case "yum install" is the way to fetch another
RPM.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_config not found

From
Saranya Sivakumar
Date:
Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for the information. I was trying to install just that devel RPM without  the other RPMs. I figured that I would have to install postgresql-8.1.3-1PGDG.i686.rpm before installing the devel.
I could successfully install psqlodbc after that. Thanks again for the help.