Scheduled Job at PostgreSQL

From
shakil tanvir
Date:
Hi all,

My present project requirement is to make an automatic interactivity which will check the database at pgsql on a scheduled time and email the result to an admin.

Similar functionality can be achieved in MS SQL Server as they have a stored proceure named SP_SEND_CDOSYSMAIL for sending email and SQL Server can have scheduled database job which will  run the query on scheduled time.

I would like to know if similar thing can be done in PostgreqSQL, that is whether pgsql can have scheduled database job and if there any stored procedure which will send email automatically. If there is no such facility  then any idea, suggestion of how to implement it will help a lot!

Shakil

Re: Scheduled Job at PostgreSQL

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  06.04.2006, um 21:53:54 -0700 mailte shakil tanvir folgendes:
> I would like to know if similar thing can be done in PostgreqSQL, that
> is whether pgsql can have scheduled database job and if there any
> stored procedure which will send email automatically. If there is no

No.

> such facility  then any idea, suggestion of how to implement it will
> help a lot!

You can use the CRON for such jobs. And you can write a sql-script with
contains your SQL-Code, executed this with psql -f <your_script> and send
email from within this shell-script.

HTH, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47215,      D1: 0160/7141639

Re: Scheduled Job at PostgreSQL

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
In BSD/Linux systems this is strait forward.  Does Windows have any features similar to a cron
daemon?  I assume that DOS can be used as scripting language. :-/

Regards,

--- "A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:

> am  06.04.2006, um 21:53:54 -0700 mailte shakil tanvir folgendes:
> > I would like to know if similar thing can be done in PostgreqSQL, that
> > is whether pgsql can have scheduled database job and if there any
> > stored procedure which will send email automatically. If there is no
>
> No.
>

> > such facility  then any idea, suggestion of how to implement it will
> > help a lot!
>
> You can use the CRON for such jobs. And you can write a sql-script with
> contains your SQL-Code, executed this with psql -f <your_script> and send
> email from within this shell-script.
>

> HTH, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
> Heynitz:  035242/47215,      D1: 0160/7141639
> GnuPG-ID 0x3FFF606C http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
>  ===    Schollglas Unternehmensgruppe    ===

Re: Scheduled Job at PostgreSQL

From
"Kevin Crenshaw"
Date:
Richard,

In a windows environment there are a couple of different ways you could go.
1. You could write a windows service using the .net language of your choice
to poll the database and send an email for you.  2. You could write a script
to check the database and set up a scheduled task (similar to a cron job) to
run the script at a specified interval.

I'm sure there are other options available, but these two are probably the
most straight forward.

HTH,

Kevin

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq