problems to install PostgreSQL

From
"Paolo De Simone"
Date:
Hello all,

i'm trying to install postgresql 8.1.3
on AIX 5.2 RISC 6000

the steps
- ./configure
- gmake
- gmake install

are OK

so i created /usr/local/pgsql/data
but when ran
- initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

had the following result :

"
 The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

 The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.
 The default database encoding has accordingly been set to LATIN1.

 fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_twophase ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_multixact/members ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_multixact/offsets ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
 creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
 selecting default max_connections ... 10
 selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
 creating configuration files ... ok
 creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... child
process was terminated by signal 11
 initdb: removing contents of data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"
"

I have repeated the installation steps for
8.1.0, 8.1.1, 8.1.2 versions
but I obtained the same result

Many thanx to any that can help.

Greetings
paolo

Re: problems to install PostgreSQL

From
Seneca Cunningham
Date:
Paolo De Simone wrote:
> i'm trying to install postgresql 8.1.3
> on AIX 5.2 RISC 6000
>
> the steps
> - ./configure
> - gmake
> - gmake install
>
> are OK

You may want to add a "gmake check" between the build and install.  It
runs some tests on the build and would have let you know that you had
problems before you installed the binaries.

> so i created /usr/local/pgsql/data
> but when ran
> - initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> had the following result :

[...initdb segfaults...]

> I have repeated the installation steps for
> 8.1.0, 8.1.1, 8.1.2 versions
> but I obtained the same result

Have you tried any of the methods described in the AIX FAQ
(<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_AIX.html>)?  There's a section
concerning postgres segfaults with postgres 8.1 and how to stop them at
the end of it, "AIX, readline, and postgres 8.1.x".  My preferred method
is the newer Makefile, but disabling readline is easier.

--
Seneca Cunningham
scunning@ca.afilias.info

Re: problems to install PostgreSQL

Date:
"Paolo De Simone" <pdesimone@infocall.it> writes:
> i'm trying to install postgresql 8.1.3
> on AIX 5.2 RISC 6000

You might find some help in doc/FAQ_AIX --- have you read it?
There are several items involving possible crashes.

            regards, tom lane