prob in accessing psql at all

From
Morganne witheredrose
Date:
I installed postgresql from ports (OpenBSD 3.8)
i initialised the db  using initdb from the user _postgresql
everything goes well

but the user postgres seems not to exist
the template1 db seems not to exist

is it another way to connect to my db and to see what are the
available users and dbs ?

I am looking forward to hear news from you

best regards

Re: prob in accessing psql at all

From
Sean Davis

On 2/2/06 7:40 AM, "Morganne witheredrose" <maniki@gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed postgresql from ports (OpenBSD 3.8)
> i initialised the db  using initdb from the user _postgresql
> everything goes well
>
> but the user postgres seems not to exist
> the template1 db seems not to exist
>
> is it another way to connect to my db and to see what are the
> available users and dbs ?
>
> I am looking forward to hear news from you

What have you tried to do to connect to the database?  What results did you
see when you tried to do that?

Sean

Re: prob in accessing psql at all

From
Christoph Frick
Date:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:40:29PM +0200, Morganne witheredrose wrote:

> I installed postgresql from ports (OpenBSD 3.8) i initialised the db
> using initdb from the user _postgresql everything goes well
>
> but the user postgres seems not to exist the template1 db seems not to
> exist
>
> is it another way to connect to my db and to see what are the
> available users and dbs ?
>
> I am looking forward to hear news from you

AFAIR also the user in the db is then named _postgresql. one thing that
_should_ work with the base install as root is:

 su - _postgresql
 psql template0

next thing is then to add the users you want and fix the settings in the
ph_hba.conf.

--
cu

Attachment

Re: prob in accessing psql at all

From
Adam Witney
Date:
On 2/2/06 12:45 pm, "Christoph Frick" <frick@sc-networks.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:40:29PM +0200, Morganne witheredrose wrote:
>
>> I installed postgresql from ports (OpenBSD 3.8) i initialised the db
>> using initdb from the user _postgresql everything goes well
>>
>> but the user postgres seems not to exist the template1 db seems not to
>> exist
>>
>> is it another way to connect to my db and to see what are the
>> available users and dbs ?
>>
>> I am looking forward to hear news from you
>
> AFAIR also the user in the db is then named _postgresql. one thing that
> _should_ work with the base install as root is:
>
> su - _postgresql
> psql template0
>
> next thing is then to add the users you want and fix the settings in the
> ph_hba.conf.

You probably won't be able to connect to template0 as connections are not
allowed to this database by default. template1 should work though

believed to be clean.