lost archives, alpha data files

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
Hi!

I managed myself to a near-hopeless situation. My pg_dumps lost, the
machine with the database died. I have the disk of the machina, with the
data directory, with (hipotetically) intact files.

So i copied the files to another computer, and tried to start a
nearly-same-version psql with the data directory. The message says crc
error in the pg_control file. This is plausible, because the dead machine
was an alpha 500au, with debian sid, and this trick was only succesful
when the versions are the same. My current machine sarge, also with pg
version 7.4, but i think this is not enough.

I have two questions:

- I need to try on the same architecture this trick? Data files generated
on 64 bit environment only usable in 64 bit env?

- If yes, can someone help me (this was our last alpha:(), if not, what
can i do?

Thanks.

The sid has the version 7.4.8-17, sarge has 7.4.7-6sarge1.

--
Tomka Gergely
Tudom, anyu. Sapka, sál, doksi.

Re: lost archives, alpha data files

Date:
Tomka Gergely <tomka@zeus.gau.hu> writes:
> - I need to try on the same architecture this trick? Data files generated
> on 64 bit environment only usable in 64 bit env?

Yes.  PG data files are not intended to be portable across
architectures.  It certainly will not work to move them between 32-bit
and 64-bit machines, nor between little-endian and big-endian machines.
You might possibly get away with changing hardware within those
constraints, but even then it's iffy.

            regards, tom lane

Re: lost archives, alpha data files

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
2006-01-31 ragyogó napján Tom Lane ezt üzente: