Linux DB designer tools

From
Zouari Fourat
Date:
Hello,
Am seeking for a reliable PGSQL DB Designer wich will be :
1.GPL
2.Good gui
3.Work under linux
4.export model to sql code
5.optionally do reverse engeneering by importing a model from the sql code

Something like DBDesigner4 for MySQL
What's your suggestions ?

Re: Linux DB designer tools

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Zouari Fourat <fourat@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Hello,
> Am seeking for a reliable PGSQL DB Designer wich will be :
> 1.GPL
> 2.Good gui
> 3.Work under linux
> 4.export model to sql code
> 5.optionally do reverse engeneering by importing a model from the sql code

Paper, pencil and brain ;-)

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)

Re: Linux DB designer tools

From
"Roland Giesler"
Date:
Zouari Fourat wrote:
> Hello,
> Am seeking for a reliable PGSQL DB Designer wich will be :
> 1.GPL
> 2.Good gui
> 3.Work under linux
> 4.export model to sql code
> 5.optionally do reverse engeneering by importing a model from the sql
> code

Try Druid. It runs on Java, so the if you use Sun JRE it's not GPL, but the
rest is.  At least Druid is.  And it works great.
http://druid.sourceforge.net/

I tried many others, but now use a combination of PGAdminIII and Druid.
Druid is growing still, but very functional and has some powerful generating
tools.

Roland

Re: Linux DB designer tools

From
Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Date:
> Hello,
> Am seeking for a reliable PGSQL DB Designer wich will be :
> 1.GPL
> 2.Good gui
> 3.Work under linux
> 4.export model to sql code
> 5.optionally do reverse engeneering by importing a model from the sql code
>
> Something like DBDesigner4 for MySQL
> What's your suggestions ?
You could also have a look at  dia, with
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=89866&package_id=94349&release_id=371714
or
http://www.nocternity.net/index.php/projets/dia2postgres?langage=C
you can then create a DB from a UML schema.

Cheers,
Andrej

Re: Linux DB designer tools

From
Sebastian Scarano
Date:
Hey, count me on with that question too.

Basicaly what I'm looking for is a produt eith the same functionality
as M$ Enterprise manager.

So far now, what I've found that comes close to what I'm looking for
is Aqua Data Studio 4.5 (http://www.aquafold.com/index.html)

It's not GPL (not even opensource) but it's free for educational
institutions and personal use (OK, I know it's not the same thing...)

The only thing missing is the ability to change the order of the
columns of a table...

So I'd be glad to hear about some GPL tool that can do the job.

Saludos

Sas

Re: Linux DB designer tools

From
dawizz
Date:
Hi,

When I was looking for such a tool I found kpogre, it has a
tree view for browsing through youre server, and 10 SQL tabs
for editing. A nice thing is thta youre commands, lets say to drop a function,
will be shown in a SQl window before execution.

See:

http://kpogre.sourceforge.net/

.