Installation problem

From
phil campaigne
Date:
Hi All,
I'm trying ot install postgresql 8.0.4 on suse 9.0.

I can run ./configure but when I try to run make, the program cannot
find a usable c compiler.
I tried
./configure CC=/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/cc1

but get the error: cannot run c compiled programs.

Any ideas on how I might proceed?
thanks,
Phil

Re: Installation problem

Date:
phil campaigne <pcampaigne@charter.net> writes:
> I'm trying ot install postgresql 8.0.4 on suse 9.0.

> I can run ./configure but when I try to run make, the program cannot
> find a usable c compiler.

You should probably ask on some SUSE-related lists about the procedure
for installing the C compiler and development tools ... if you don't
have a compiler then you very probably haven't got a lot of other
packages you will need, such as system header files.

(Although actually, I don't see why you are bothering to install PG
from source --- SUSE provides PostgreSQL packages don't they?)

            regards, tom lane