see all queries incoming

From
Flávio Brito
Date:
How can I see, such as MSSQL screen, all queries that are processing in real time?

I want to monitor all the queries that are being processed by a user in real time.

Thanks

Flavio

Re: see all queries incoming

From
Kretschmer Andreas
Date:
Flávio Brito <flavio@gral.org.br> schrieb:

> How can I see, such as MSSQL screen, all queries that are processing in real
> time?
>
> I want to monitor all the queries that are being processed by a user in real
> time.

watch "echo \"SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;\" | psql -U <user> <db>

(and enable stats_command_string)

Regards, Andreas
--
Diese Message wurde erstellt mit freundlicher Unterstützung eines freilau-
fenden Pinguins aus artgerechter Freilandhaltung.   Er ist garantiert frei

Re: see all queries incoming

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 02:37:00PM +0200, Kretschmer Andreas wrote:
> Flávio Brito <flavio@gral.org.br> schrieb:
> > How can I see, such as MSSQL screen, all queries that are processing in real
> > time?
> >
> > I want to monitor all the queries that are being processed by a user in real
> > time.
>
> watch "echo \"SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;\" | psql -U <user> <db>

Does that actually work on your system?  On the system I tested it
sends screen control garbage to the pipe.  Aside from that, "watch"
isn't a standard command -- on one of my systems (FreeBSD) I get this:

  watch: fatal: cannot open snoop device

On another (Solaris) I get this:

  watch: Command not found.

Additionally, periodically doing "SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity"
isn't a reliable way to see *all* queries, as you'll miss queries
that happened between your SELECTs.  It's also wasteful of resources,
especially if you start a new session for each query.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: see all queries incoming

From
Kretschmer Andreas
Date:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> schrieb:

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 02:37:00PM +0200, Kretschmer Andreas wrote:
> > Flávio Brito <flavio@gral.org.br> schrieb:
> > > How can I see, such as MSSQL screen, all queries that are processing in real
> > > time?
> > >
> > > I want to monitor all the queries that are being processed by a user in real
> > > time.
> >
> > watch "echo \"SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;\" | psql -U <user> <db>
>
> Does that actually work on your system?  On the system I tested it

Yes, Debian/Stable with 8.0.3

> Additionally, periodically doing "SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity"
> isn't a reliable way to see *all* queries, as you'll miss queries

Yupp, correct. PG ist very fast ;-)

Regards, Andreas
--
Diese Message wurde erstellt mit freundlicher Unterstützung eines freilau-
fenden Pinguins aus artgerechter Freilandhaltung.   Er ist garantiert frei
von Micro$oft'schen Viren. (#97922 http://counter.li.org)     GPG 7F4584DA
Was, Sie wissen nicht, wo Kaufbach ist? Hier: N 51.05082°, E 13.56889° ;-)

Re: see all queries incoming

From
Flávio Brito
Date:
watch "echo \"SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;\" | psql -U <user> <db>

After I did it I receive a prompt like this

[flavio@localhost flavio]$ watch "echo \"SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;\" | psql -U postgres template1

Can you help me more? Exist another way to run this query inside of psql without using "watch"?

Thanks

Re: see all queries incoming

From
Kretschmer Andreas
Date:
Flávio Brito <flavio@gral.org.br> schrieb:

> Em Dom, 2005-08-28 às 14:37 +0200, Kretschmer Andreas escreveu:
>
>     watch "echo \"SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;\" | psql -U <user> <db>
>

> After I did it I receive a prompt like this

Mmh.

> Can you help me more? Exist another way to run this query inside of psql
> without using "watch"?

Yes, of course, 'SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;'.
This is a snapshot for this moment.

Regards, Andreas