Intsall 8.03 on Redhat ES 3

From
"rbradley"
Date:
Is there someone out there that can explain to us mortals how to get
Postgresql 8.0.3 server successfully installed on Red Hat ES 3?  I finally got
7.3.10 to install but no matter what other version I try I get a list of
dependencies, I try to install different rpm to meet the dependencies and they
have dependencies - I have a UNIX background but have been in the window
environment for the last 10 years.  There just has to be a better way to
install programs on Linux.

Re: Intsall 8.03 on Redhat ES 3

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 17:12:20 -0500,
  rbradley <rbradley@fusiion.com> wrote:
> Is there someone out there that can explain to us mortals how to get
> Postgresql 8.0.3 server successfully installed on Red Hat ES 3?  I finally got
> 7.3.10 to install but no matter what other version I try I get a list of
> dependencies, I try to install different rpm to meet the dependencies and they
> have dependencies - I have a UNIX background but have been in the window
> environment for the last 10 years.  There just has to be a better way to
> install programs on Linux.

One option is to build from source.

Re: Intsall 8.03 on Redhat ES 3

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

--8323328-523895446-1124462872=:11224

Date:
--- Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, rbradley wrote:
>
> > Is there someone out there that can explain to us
> mortals how to get
> > Postgresql 8.0.3 server successfully installed on
> Red Hat ES 3?  I finally got
> > 7.3.10 to install but no matter what other version
> I try I get a list of
> > dependencies, I try to install different rpm to
> meet the dependencies and they
> > have dependencies -
>
> This is an RPM feature. You should supply those
> dependencies.
>
> If you write the exact messages, we can guide you to
> the correct RPMs.
>
> Regards,

i'm a little late to the party, but...

i read in "php and postgresql advanced web
programming" that...

# rpm -Uvh *rpm

should get the trick done (at least on the version at
the time it was printed).

it also mentions that a package named "mx" may be
missing on some systems and this will cause the rpm to
fail.  "mx" isn't required for pgsql to run.

if this is the case, the recommended course of action
is...

# rpm -Uvh *rpm --nodeps

i don't now how relevant this is, but i do hope it is
accurate b/c i will be following it at some point in
the future.

http://mail.yahoo.com